Danish oil or Tong on Oak interior furniture?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was wondering if anyone could please recommend a manufacturers make of Danish Oil that would give the best results on interior Oak furniture.

Or would Tong Oil be better, if so which make would be the best please?

Thank you for your help.

Sponsored Links
I use Liberon Danish Oil, although Mylands is just as good, however they aren't that widely available so a reasonable alternative might be Rustin's whcih I've used on a number of jobs. If you are looking for tung oil then make sure that it is polymerised, otherwise it will take days or even weeks to dry. Unpolymerised is not suitable for furniture finishing.

Scrit

I use raw tung oil. Untreated, not polymerised, no additives, nothing. I use it on furniture, it does take weeks to dry, but then I'm in no hurry, shan't be dying for a long while yet. It's no problem living with it while it dries, it's no worse than hands with moisturisers on IMO.

Oilman, the cheapest 5L Pure Tung Oil I can find is £59 including the delivery. Do you know anywhere cheaper? ebay about the same price.

Sponsored Links
oilman said:
.....It's no problem living with it while it dries, it's no worse than hands with moisturisers on IMO.
You obviously have no cats, dogs, budgies, rabbits, etc in the house........ ;) or small children or teenagers :rolleyes:

Scrit

I think I try Liberon - seems to be a good product from looking on the web. Tung oil wouldn't be suitable because of the drying times. Cheers for the advice on this one.

At the moment, I get mine from here, I don't know if anyone can beat their price(?)

DIYerHELP, the Tung Oil is normally dried the next day when mixed with white spirit.

Scrit said:
oilman said:
.....It's no problem living with it while it dries, it's no worse than hands with moisturisers on IMO.
You obviously have no cats, dogs, budgies, rabbits, etc in the house........ ;) or small children or teenagers :rolleyes:

Scrit

Your observation is not correct then, we have a cat, but being well behaved it doesen't sit on the furniture, and certainly not worktops.

If the people who think it's ok for cats to sit on worktops, thought that first they lick their bottoms, then they lick their paws.................... :evil:

Small children should be at work, dogs live in kennels, rabbits live in hutches, budgies (?) live in Australia. ;)

DIYerHELP said:
I think I try Liberon - seems to be a good product from looking on the web. Tung oil wouldn't be suitable because of the drying times. Cheers for the advice on this one.

Depends what you mean by "dry". It's not wet like paint.

The traditional thing to use for oak would be raw linseed oil. NOT the cheap stuff with fish oil in it, try Holkham/linseed.......whatever, in Google. Then use linseed wax.

If you've got a satin furnish, that's exactly what Danish oil gives. Primarily it's used to seal open grained wood on - for example - kitchen worktops, garden furniture, exterior furnish, unvarnished interior furniture, and so on.

Most good quality Danish Oil contains Tung Oilso this will give the best of both worlds and at a lower price. I tend to use Danish oil most of the time and get really good results. I find the best way to apply the oil is to paint it on with a brush for the first coat and leave it for about ten minutes, before evening out the oil with a lint free cloth. This also removes surplus oil, which remains in the cloth. I wear vinyl cloves when I do this and then pull the cloth into the first glove as I remove it then pull that one into the second glove, this keeps the cloth moist for a few days. The next day, I put on a new pair of gloves and using the same cloth, add some more oil to the cloth and rub it into the surface again. I do this for at least three days more and end up with a very smooth, proffesional looking finish, which last for a long time. To bring back the finish, I wet a cloth with more Danish oil and go over the surface. This is also good for repairing scratches and other minor damage.

oldwonky

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back