Dark edges where ceiling meet wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have newly plastered walls.

In the past I have noticed that after painting the walls with 2/3 coats of good quality white emulsion that the point where the ceiling and wall meet around the perimeter of the room the paint looks thinner.

Is it standard practise to paint these edges 1st with a brush before using the roller on the rest of the wall?

I've also seen the following a Corner Paint Roller is this a better option than the brush for this problem area?
http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/viewprod/f/FDDCORNERR/

Sponsored Links
Awwww what a cute little tool :) never seen that before.

the trick is to do your cutting in first, best for you to do one wall at a time, specially on your last coat.
Cut in top and bottom and the sides, then roll upto the cutting in, you could use a little rad roller to roll along at the top as near to the ceiling as you can without hitting it. :rolleyes:

What is the Exact name of your 'good quality white emulsion' ?

Also what type of surface are you applying your emulsion ?

Sponsored Links
Me personaly would not worry about it.

This is common when using high opacity matt finishes on new/bare plaster. You have used the correct emulsion for your task anyway.

Next time you paint then use Vinyl Matt......or Vinyl Soft Sheen.

spice said:
Awwww what a cute little tool :) never seen that before.

the trick is to do your cutting in first, best for you to do one wall at a time, specially on your last coat.
Cut in top and bottom and the sides, then roll upto the cutting in, you could use a little rad roller to roll along at the top as near to the ceiling as you can without hitting it. :rolleyes:

Cheers for this .... I'll try this method on my new project

Third_Eye said:
Me personaly would not worry about it.

This is common when using high opacity matt finishes on new/bare plaster. You have used the correct emulsion for your task anyway.

Next time you paint then use Vinyl Matt......or Vinyl Soft Sheen.

The plan on the new project is to apply my mist coat then the covermatt followed by a final coat of Washable Flat Matt
http://www.crowntrade.co.uk/en/Products/Essentials/Washable+Flat+Matt/

I've not used the washable stuff before, so i'll see how that works out

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back