Dark patch on external wall (below eaves near chimney)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
Just wondered if anyone had any idea what this dark patch in the below photos might be?
The first picture is from google street view 2018 and the bottom picture is from 2008, so it doesn't look like it's spread/grown in the last 10 years.
It's a house we are thinking about putting an offer on, but thought it might be worth getting an idea of this looks like a bigger issue?
There was no damp inside upstairs on any of the walls/ceilings from what I could see during our viewing.

If we were to proceed we would definitely be getting a full survey done anyway, but just thought doing some prior research couldn't hurt.

Fe55YiT.jpg

8VabRt2.jpg

Sponsored Links
you mean the stain having the appearance of long-term water spillage, ajacent to the gutter between two disused chimneys?

I'd start by checking the gutter for blockage and holes, then looking at water penetration around the chimneys

I can see the roof has been retiled, but the flashing on the nearer chimny doesn't look quite right to me. It should be lead.

Yep that stain.
Thought it might be good to ask on here incase anyone had an inkling.

Thanks.

OP,
its possible you will have a couple of thousand or more work nneding done - £2000+ of roofin, rendering an painting?

its possible that some water damaged render patches have been painted for the sale.
the render on the side/gable an front elevations might need hacking off an re-rendering.close up inspection needed.
the gable roofline might need a few courses of tile lifting an new felt an eaves plastic protectors installed - maybe the fascia an soffit is also water damaged?
re-arranging the lead flashing could be done at that time.

none of the above is a big deal esp in terms of house prices in the SE.

Sponsored Links
Looks like a build up of dirt because its in the shade.
If it is it will wash off.

Possible cause?

Lack of sunlight, result mould and algae build up?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back