1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Dark patch on external wall (below eaves near chimney)

Discussion in 'Roofing and Guttering' started by bednarz, 11 Feb 2019.

1. bednarz

bednarz

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi all,
    Just wondered if anyone had any idea what this dark patch in the below photos might be?
    The first picture is from google street view 2018 and the bottom picture is from 2008, so it doesn't look like it's spread/grown in the last 10 years.
    It's a house we are thinking about putting an offer on, but thought it might be worth getting an idea of this looks like a bigger issue?
    There was no damp inside upstairs on any of the walls/ceilings from what I could see during our viewing.

If we were to proceed we would definitely be getting a full survey done anyway, but just thought doing some prior research couldn't hurt.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. JohnD

JohnD

Thanks Received:
    Cook Islands
    you mean the stain having the appearance of long-term water spillage, ajacent to the gutter between two disused chimneys?

I'd start by checking the gutter for blockage and holes, then looking at water penetration around the chimneys

I can see the roof has been retiled, but the flashing on the nearer chimny doesn't look quite right to me. It should be lead.

3. bednarz

bednarz

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Yep that stain.
    Thought it might be good to ask on here incase anyone had an inkling.

Thanks.

4. bobasd

bobasd

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    OP,
    its possible you will have a couple of thousand or more work nneding done - £2000+ of roofin, rendering an painting?

its possible that some water damaged render patches have been painted for the sale.
    the render on the side/gable an front elevations might need hacking off an re-rendering.close up inspection needed.
    the gable roofline might need a few courses of tile lifting an new felt an eaves plastic protectors installed - maybe the fascia an soffit is also water damaged?
    re-arranging the lead flashing could be done at that time.

none of the above is a big deal esp in terms of house prices in the SE.

5. Ker-plunk

Ker-plunk

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Looks like a build up of dirt because its in the shade.
    If it is it will wash off.