das.ad.6 controller as fitted to Wilson Wallflame 75 boiler

fwd

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would someone be kind enough and go through the sequence of this controllers' cam rotation cycle.

Also where does the signal to the cam shaft motor come from and what controls it?

I appreciate the age of this installation and the lack of spares availability and would appreciate any clarification of the above points

Cheers & In anticipation... :confused:

fwd

Sponsored Links
The cam is powered by the live feed, usually from the boiler thermostat. First check is that the flue stat, or flame sensor is in the cold position, then it powers up the glowcoil, after a period it opens the solenoid. When the flue warms up, the flame sensor changesover and the cam stops. If no flame, then the cam continues and switches off the glowcoil and solenoid. Recon units are available from Peter Porter Ltd in Hertfordshire.

• Thanks
Reactions: fwd
The cam is powered by the live feed, usually from the boiler thermostat. First check is that the flue stat, or flame sensor is in the cold position, then it powers up the glowcoil, after a period it opens the solenoid. When the flue warms up, the flame sensor changesover and the cam stops. If no flame, then the cam continues and switches off the glowcoil and solenoid. Recon units are available from Peter Porter Ltd in Hertfordshire.

Thank you OILHEAD, that explains a few anomalies, need to do a bit of conning but it seems that although the control box is 'live' the boiler circuitry is dead despite having power at the round 3pin plug which explains the lack of control to the motor.

Presently, the 2nd and 5th (from the top/away from the motor) microswitches are depressed and if I operate the top m/s, ignition takes place and if the 4th m/s is held closed, the fan rotates and the fuel ignites and the boiler runs 'normally' after releasing the ign m/s.

While the boiler is running in this configuration, the cams are not rotating, the control box and panel neon lights are still off, operating the boiler stat and the flame stat makes no difference and even unplugging the round 3pin plug has no effect. The boiler will run until the 4th m/s (fan) is released.

If the boiler stat is dead (open cct) would that cause all the above ?

Have to do a bit more digging behind the panel before I start to panic or freeze over.... brrrrrrr...

Thank you again and will keep you posted

Thank you OILHEAD, that explains a few anomalies, need to do a bit of conning but it seems that although the control box is 'live' the boiler circuitry is dead despite having power at the round 3pin plug which explains the lack of control to the motor.

Presently, the 2nd and 5th (from the top/away from the motor) microswitches are depressed and if I operate the top m/s, ignition takes place and if the 4th m/s is held closed, the fan rotates and the fuel ignites and the boiler runs 'normally' after releasing the ign m/s.

While the boiler is running in this configuration, the cams are not rotating, the control box and panel neon lights are still off, operating the boiler stat and the flame stat makes no difference and even unplugging the round 3pin plug has no effect. The boiler will run until the 4th m/s (fan) is released.

Have to do a bit more digging behind the panel before I start to panic or freeze over.... brrrrrrr...

quick update:

Boiler stat = ok
panel amber neon light wires were perished (close proximity to boiler), remade and now illuminate

operationally still as before :mad:

Sponsored Links

quick update:

Boiler stat = ok
panel amber neon light wires were perished (close proximity to boiler), remade and now illuminate

operationally still as before :mad:

yet another update

Have managed to get the motor to operate as per. It now does the full cycle and can hear/see the relay making, ignition comes on and the fan motor rotates slowly and emits what I can describe as an induction hum (which is something it has done for as long as I can remember) BUT ign cuts-off before the fan operates normally and the cycle ends soon after the relay drops out. It just sits there til either the power is re-cycled or the override microswitch is operated - to do the same all over again.

The fan motor is working fine as the system can be run as originally posted. :confused:

Can anyone recommend an engineer in the East Midlands area (M1 Junction 24) as I am running out of ideas :(

Many Thanks - fwd

Thank you oilhead... an update, turned out the cam sync motor anti-rollback mechanism had failed and the motor rotation had reversed so the sequencing was back to front!! Motor replaced and now working.

Those controllers were manufactured by Teddington Autocontrols, now of St Austell. Don't know if they have anyone there now who will know about them, though.

One of the boards has a TRAVIS CONTROLS Ware (0920)871014 sticker, needless to say does not exist anymore (code adjusted!) and Peter Porter's phone just rings out...
Eventually got spares from Ignite Heating Spares on 01920 871711 - highly recommended.
I also managed to lay my hands on an manual for the beast!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back