Oil CH boiler runs but on restart there is a problem!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thermacon CH oil boiler fitted with ecoflam pressure jet unit with Danfoss BFP 11 R3 oil pump.

It was working fine until a couple of days ago when it failed to complete the start-up sequence. I lifted the cover that protects the fan and electrodes and found that the fan shaft was hard to rotate and was stalling the motor. I deduced that the oil pump was the culprit.

Fast forward, I've just installed a replacement pump (and a new nozzel) and the boiler ran fine. I then adjusted pressure and air mixture. After reaching the set boiler temperature it stopped, however it then failed to re-start though it tried. The fan motor could not spin the pump, but I found that if I rotated the fan a bit the motor and reconnected the power it would start OK and the start-up sequence was completed as normal.

The above suggests to me that the motor should stop at a point in it's 360 degree rotation that allows it to start without the full resistance of the pump. I'm sure there must be a heating engineer here who can point me in the right direction <G>

Cheers

Richard

Sponsored Links
Two things I would investigate

1 Motor bearings may be dry and seizing when hot

2 Motor capacitor failing which doesn't 'start' the motor

I would try a new capacitor first.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys

I rang Thermecon this morning and they thought that my problem was most likely to be due to some water getting into the oil. I emptied the three filter chambers and found some water in the two final ones. Now the boiler starts and runs like new again<G>

Hope this will help others.

Cheers

Richard :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back