Daughter buying her first house

I put my fathers house on the market recently, West Kent area.

Sept there was a surge created by wanting to move out of London.
Fear of lock down seems to be putting the market into the flat period typical of Christmas.
(Feedback from estate agents, not my direct knowledge)

I'm not sure what the forecast for the market is, my guess would be this year is rapidly tailing off towards Xmas and there won't be the usual buyer surge in Jan, the market will be nervous.

I would guess there may be bargains to be had next summer as Covid damage bites and repossessions go up.

I personally would be unsure buying now.

Sponsored Links
And walk by in the evening, parking issues can get a lot worse after 5pm. Maybe knock on the neighbours door's to say your daughter is looking at the house next door, and ask what the area is like. Hopefully it will be obvious if they are nutcases!

I’m back and she really likes it.

The owner died, the house has been empty and does need lots of work. My observations were:

-The brickwork looks solid all over except around 2 corroded lintels that have lifted the brick slightly. The other lintels are all stone and one of the corroded ones is on a small window that she would brick up anyway.

-The floor is bouncy just inside the front door, there are new floorboards under the carpet so maybe a joist has been replaced with a smaller one. The rest of the floors are firm and the kitchen concrete.

-The boiler is a back boiler in the living room and the radiators all look old. The smaller bedroom has the cylinder and tank in it.

- The roof has concrete tiles on the hipped end and rosemary type on the front and back.

-The electrics box has modern switch type fuses but it still looks old.

-The water is on a shared Lead supply.

-The drains go off into the neighbours property after a couple of meters.

-In one bedroom the paper is all peeling off, nothing feels damp and there are some small cracks to the visible ceiling plaster.

-The bathroom is new with shower cubicle and no bath.

-The kitchen is old but solid.

-It’s an end 1 of 4 and in on angle so the front garden is very wide and the back garden small ish. There’s a massive shed right in the middle of the back, a concrete garage in good condition at the side and space for 3 cars at the front if you chopped a tree and few bushes down.

-It’s near a school but she goes to work before and will come back after any traffic.

-It’s close to her boyfriends where he lives with his parents. No plans to buy the house with him.

I really like it too, it’s on for £125,000. An offer of £115,000 was accepted but the buyer couldn’t then get the money. The estate agents thinks it would fetch £145,000 done up and I agree, the house next door has just sold for £130,000 but has no garage, side garden or off road parking.

She is going to match the £115,000 offer and see how she get on.

Pretty exciting :)

Sounds good! Schools can be a problem at times, but if it has it's own drive there should not be a problem. Local road near the school here has no driveways, total nightmare for anybody living nearby,

Sponsored Links
It sounds really nice.

I wish properties were available in that price range in my area.

It sounds similar condition to my Dad's house. It still has same windows and bathroom suite when he bought the house in Sept 1970.

Ian, how are you old enough to have a daughter buying her own house?! :). They grow up fast eh! So cheap too - compared to where I am!

It’s close to her boyfriends where he lives with his parents. No plans to buy the house with him.
A good idea until things become serious. One thing I would advise should they decide to move in together is that she has him as a tenant and gives him a rent book. A bit unromantic and practical but I know of two friends of my wife that didn't do that and when they split up, her friends had to buy out the boyfriends. One even had to sell the house to pay him off and move back with her mum! It got messy in both instances and a simple tenancy/rent book would have prevented that.

When our daughter moved in with her boyfriend, he had bought the flat with his brother and had been in there a couple of years. The brother wanted to sell up and move in with his girlfriend so our daughter bought out his equity in the property. Boyfriend/girlfriend/living in a mortgaged property belonging to only one of them can be a nightmare if sufficient plans aren't made and kept to.

It sounds really nice.

I wish properties were available in that price range in my area.

It sounds similar condition to my Dad's house. It still has same windows and bathroom suite when he bought the house in Sept 1970.

I wonder if they have the same carpet?
9C439C89-1196-4BD4-B1FC-9601E6F79AF2.png

Ian, how are you old enough to have a daughter buying her own house?! :). They grow up fast eh! So cheap too - compared to where I am!

I’m just turned 42 and she is 23 in a couple of weeks.

A good idea until things become serious. One thing I would advise should they decide to move in together is that she has him as a tenant and gives him a rent book.
Good advice, I’ll pass that on (y)

Isn't this all a bit unrealistic?

Once they live together, surely he will be considered as contributing (half?) to the household?

Would a man be expected/allowed to charge his (wife/)partner rent and then throw her out whenever he felt like it?

It's different if married no?
Happened to a lady I know in the post office. Her boyfriend moved in for 5 years then decided to leave (he'd met someone else). She then got a solicitors letter with him claiming some money for his contribution towards the house. He didn't pay any rent or anything - but she couldn't prove it. Ended up giving him 10k. She was also told that if she'd charged him rent with proof, none of this would've happened. Mad world.

Isn't this all a bit unrealistic?

Once they live together, surely he will be considered as contributing (half?) to the household?

Would a man be expected/allowed to charge his (wife/)partner rent and then throw her out whenever he felt like it?

They aren’t planning to live together but no doubt he will end up staying there most nights.

Sounds like a nice place
Parking
Garage

Jeez us u would be hard pushed to get any thing down here for that

Sponsored Links
Back