David Lewis insulated hatch cover

r_c

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I came across this product on a YouTube video from an American company called the "David Lewis Insulated Hatch Cover". was wondering if there is a product in the UK similar to this.

It is basically a big polystyrene box without a top, turned upside down, and fitted over the loft hatch cover.

I am interested in a product like this because of a terrible seal around our loft door - we have a Dolle ladder and door like this.

Is there a similar product in the UK?

Sponsored Links
Hi,

It looks interesting, but very DIY'able to make something similar out of some celotex etc.

I am really thinking about making one now, after going to open my loft hatch yesterday and nearly having a large (half dead!) rat land on my head :eek::confused:

• Thanks
Reactions: r_c
Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: r_c
Sponsored Links
i made my own one to a similar idea but because there was an air leak into the box from down stairs you had to wash it every few months as the moist warm air would keep condensing and the amount off water would build up slowly over a few months
so iff you fit one check maybe every couple off months as a precaution

@foxhole my loft hatch is exactly as @RandomGrinch described and it is not possible to simply stick insulation on it. Ours is similar to this:

@RandomGrinch I was also wondering if that could be done with Celotex, but how do you stick 5 bits of celotex together to form this box?

I was also wondering if that could be done with Celotex, but how do you stick 5 bits of celotex together to form this box?
As I usually have some hanging about, I was considering using some 'low expansion' adhesive foam and foil taping the joints.
A very 'light weight' solution, but it may work! ;)

I've made one with celotex stuck together with no-nails. Works fine. It's two layers stuck together with a cutout for the steps to fit in.

IMG_20211207_090035309.jpg

IMG_20211207_090045050.jpg

I really like that @cdbe , and your idea of doing a cutout (as opposed to 4 separate long bits around the side to raise it).

Do you have anything to 'pull' it down to help create an air seal with the loft floor?

Do you have anything to 'pull' it down to help create an air seal with the loft floor?

No, it's quite heavy and sits well on the floor but I suppose a bit of wood could be stuck on top the weigh it down if necessary.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back