Day rates and Saturdays

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We recently asked a decorator to paint our flat however, after some debates over the scope of work agreed in our original, fixed-price quote we have decided to stop the work.

The decorator was on site 4 days, but I know that one of those days was a Satuday where he only worked between 9.30 and 2.30.

He is now asking for 4 days pay at a daily rate which we had been quoted originally when discussing whether to work on a day rate or fixed price contract.

I know these things are typically assessed by job, but is there any standard on what constitutes a working day/Saurday working day? Is he being cheeky asking for a full day pay when he maximum worked 6 hours?

Thanks in advance,

Niall

Sponsored Links
unless its changed,
but normally 8 hrs p/day week days
saturday time and a half
sunday double time.

any other overtime variations agreed before hand.

but if a price has been given then it doesnt really matter how the trades person has/is doing his hrs aslong as they finnish in the agreed time thus making sure the customer is kept happy at all times.which sometimes is a very big ask when you get a knightmare of a customer.

Hi,

We recently asked a decorator to paint our flat however, after some debates over the scope of work agreed in our original, fixed-price quote we have decided to stop the work.

The decorator was on site 4 days, but I know that one of those days was a Satuday where he only worked between 9.30 and 2.30.

He is now asking for 4 days pay at a daily rate which we had been quoted originally when discussing whether to work on a day rate or fixed price contract.

I know these things are typically assessed by job, but is there any standard on what constitutes a working day/Saurday working day? Is he being cheeky asking for a full day pay when he maximum worked 6 hours?

Thanks in advance,

Niall

He's trying it on.
Tell him so .
Tell him it was 'his' choice to work saturday.
Do shopworkers get paid time and a half on saturdays ? NO.
Shiftworkers ? NO.
Some Decorators still work according to long standing traditions .
Slow and more slow- especially on daywork .

The modern generation of painters etc- have speeded up and some are ok.
Always get a fixed price from one.

We need more info on this.

'We recently asked a decorator to paint our flat however, after some debates over the scope of work agreed in our original, fixed-price quote we have decided to stop the work.'

What made you stop the work?

Andy

Sponsored Links
Me thinks theres more to this than meets the eye!! :confused:
Debates about the scope of work.....how many debates can there be its only a bit of decoration! More info please! :eek:

He's trying it on.
Tell him so .
Tell him it was 'his' choice to work saturday.
How do ypu know that, PP

Do shopworkers get paid time and a half on saturdays ? NO.
Some do

Shiftworkers ? NO.
Most get a "shift allowance"

A LOT of people get extra for weekend work - including me, if I chose to work on a W/E.

Always get a fixed price from one.[/quote]
I thonk he did, but for some ( so far uknown) reason got upset!

This why we never charge for labour only. It's a job price. If it's fitted in 1 day or 4 days tough shit.

That's the way to go.
People who do daywork-- are donkeys .
Customers want a bottom line -- not a 'depends how long we are here' quote.

I never ever ever employ a subby who wants daywork . Been there and done that years ago. They usually turn up with a few newspapers on their dashboard , a big butty bag and always stop on the dot for brewtime s and lunch .
Another warning -- beware of a worker who turns up to work for you who has a dog in his van/car.

[quote="HERTSDRAINAGE2010";p="2489885
Another warning -- beware of a worker who turns up to work for you who has a dog in his van/car.[/quote]

Wearing large loop earrings.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Andy[/quote] Never mind the ear rings - a good builder I know has a dog in his truck and he`s Polish :eek: - I went to primary school with him - his dad came over in WW2 :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
Back