Daylight on roofspace?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Looking to get some advice and thoughts on this one.
I was taking a look in the loft recently and accidently came across an area on the roof space where there was obvious daylight shining through? No other areas in the roof space appear to show daylight only this particular area.

As far as I understand, there are no vents in that area.
I've only looked and observed at this from a distance via the loft hatch.
But from what I can gather, it appears to be daylight shining through the internal roof underlay. There seems to be 2-3 holes of light showing on the underlay. Having looked during the evening, there doesn't look to be any holes in the underlying (looking from a distance).

Not being knowledgeable on roof construction, but I assume behind the internal roofing underlay that we see in the loft is the actual roof tiles.
Hence, I assume what I'm seeing here is NOT normal and NOT good? Is it the likelihood that what I have is probably some damage to an actual tile (as per the holes). However, like I said there hasn't been any signs of water ingress from below the ceiling?
I wonder if water is getting through the holes, and simply running down the underlay?

Appreciate any thoughts and advice...

Loft - Video
loft-daylight1
loft daylight 2
loft daylight 3
external roof side

Sponsored Links
Roof vent for airflow or shower vent then.

You think not?

A ceiling light shining up maybe? Looked when there is no daylight for interest?

Roof vent for airflow or shower vent then.
There are no roof vents.
Unfortunately its difficult to get a good external photo of the roof side of our house (due to the proximity of the neighbouring house). However, having looked at another house of the same type and layout - external roof. You can see the side roof does not have any obvious roof vents. Only the same shower vents.

Hence what can explain this amount of daylight that i'm seeing?
If you watch the video, you can see the daylight is shining through as 2-3 pin holes on the underlay.

I can look again during the evening when no daylight. But suspect i'll simply not see anything i.e. will likely only see the actual roof underlay. But what does that prove or suggest?

Find someone to get up a ladder to look and then take a photo I guess.
I've done that a few times and emailed to customer.

Slipped or broken roof tile maybe

Sponsored Links
Slipped………roof tile maybe
I’ve had the same a few times in the past few years. A tile had slipped out of place. Years ago, I’d have been up on that roof like a monkey and popped it back into place but being older, wiser and heavier the first time I just got my head above the guttering and poked it back in place with a couple of long sticks. The next time it happened and was higher up, I just manipulated it back into place from inside the loft by pushing my arm through one of the joins in the roofing felt.

Find someone to get up a ladder to look and then take a photo I guess.
I've done that a few times and emailed to customer.

Slipped or broken roof tile maybe
Are your a roofer by trade?
Probably need to give a roofer a call to come out and check? Or if the window cleaner comes i could ask him to have a peek and take a photo.

My only concern is that I'm not sure how long its been like this, and critically if there would be an impact over that period?

There is no doubt that something is open and water has probably been penetrating the tile. Like i said, there's not been any observed water ingress from the ceiling below.
So would i be correct to assume that likelihood is that any water has simply drained behind the waterproof underlay and flowed back down the roof?
If this has been the case for a long period, would there have been any issue or concerns i.e. exposed underlay to elements for this period, or impact on wooden batons due to flow of rain water etc.

Or is it really just a simple case of getting the tile re-position or replaced (if genuinely damaged) and end of story?

Anyone with a ladder will be able to look and take a photo.

If roof tile is broken, then an easy swap for a new one.

Yes the water will run down felt into the gutter. I've known houses where that's happened for years unnoticed. Not a problem If fixed

Anyone with a ladder will be able to look and take a photo.

If roof tile is broken, then an easy swap for a new one.

Yes the water will run down felt into the gutter. I've known houses where that's happened for years unnoticed. Not a problem If fixed
Regarding ladders, can only think of the window cleaner next time he's around.

Exactly my concerns as it may have been years unnoticed until now. We don't use the loft for storage, so rarely even go up there, and only really discovered till now :(

As a new build (2014), isn't the overlapped underlay shown in the photos suppose to be some kind of "breathable membrane" rather than felt? I'm only guessing as I assume modern new builds would use breathable membranes instead of felt these days? Also, doesn't the breathable membrane allow light to shine through more easily, whilst felt would likely block any light?
Hence the conclusion that its likely a modern breathable membrane that's been used.

On the assumption that it could have been like this for a few years. Should I have any concerns on the underlying components being impacted from the exposure i.e. surrounding wooden batons, the underlay.
Or am i just over thinking about things and it should only be a simple tile replacement?
Just trying to set some expectations if I call out a roofer to assess, and hence don't want to get ripped off telling me its a bigger job than what it is if that makes sense?

Curious what range of costs can one expect for a simple tile replacement swap these days?

Once again, thank you for your advise! I'm just feeling a little fearful as this unnoticed problem may have been lurking for sometime and unknown what impact its had on our roof.

Mate had a bust tile which cost £60 to supply and fit.
Think that was a bargain price to inspect then locate a matching tile and fit.

Might not have any damage to batten from the water as sometimes it's runs under. Ask to see pictures before agreeing any work.

Might not have any damage to batten from the water as sometimes it's runs under. Ask to see pictures before agreeing any work.
Thats a bargain, I recently had a quote from a roofer to replace a tile and he wanted £450! Needless to say he hasn't been given the job.

I keep hearing reports of these types of estimates however, lots of trades scratching about with the economy as it is. Domestic work is limping along. I can't make half that for 10 hour day around here. My builder is being flooded with trades looking for work I've noticed, as It's a bidding war going on at the moment. Go post job on there. It's free to do. Take the lowest quote or don't if you think it's too much.

Job

Inspect and price to repair possible broken tile on roof..
That's what I'd do even though I don't like these platforms. More for the modern younger trades people. Things are changing rapidly I think with internet now.

Last edited:

Wow £60 sounds too cheap! I was expecting something in the region of at least £150-250 min?
Like you i'm not overly keen in those trading platforms for posting jobs. Just not sure who get and their experience etc. Different if it was just a paint or cleaning job.
I found some companies with good reviews and well established, so might contact some a see if they can come out and inspect and quote etc. On the other side of the coin, i don't know if these companies tend to only do the bigger jobs (i.e. re-roofing than just small repairs like replacing a tile?)

Is my guess of £150-£250 a reasonable cost to expect for repairing (replacing) a broken tile?
And if it goes beyond £300 sounds like an unfair deal?

I assume most firms will come out to provide a free inspect and quote...
Thanks

If we replace a simple slipped slate or tile and I don't have to go to far out of my way, we get the home owner to make a donation to Hampshire and isle of wight air ambulance or rnli .. it's not always about money .
Some honour it and forward evidence others keep quiet . Those we will remember .
The £450 quote is just a scam .. unless it needed scaffold of course .

If we replace a simple slipped slate or tile and I don't have to go to far out of my way, we get the home owner to make a donation to Hampshire and isle of wight air ambulance or rnli .. it's not always about money .
Some honour it and forward evidence others keep quiet . Those we will remember .
The £450 quote is just a scam .. unless it needed scaffold of course .
Its really refreshing to hear this so of thing. Love the idea of donating for a good cause, but unfortunately i'm not local - up in Scotland.
I'm suspecting there aren't many other companies doing this type of thing, and will likely charge.
450 is definitely a scam...but reckon something in the £100-200 is probably a fair cost?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back