Daylight on roofspace?

Anyone with a ladder will be able to look and take a photo.

If roof tile is broken, then an easy swap for a new one.

Yes the water will run down felt into the gutter. I've known houses where that's happened for years unnoticed. Not a problem If fixed

Window cleaner was over and had him take a peek.
No obvious missing tile(s) but he did notice the following - roof tile

Zooming in it does look like some damage with hole? No idea how this could have happened.
But does seem to correspond to what I'm seeing inside the loft area huh? - loft daylight area

Hopefully this means its an easy tile swap...
Also, assume these are a common type/style of tiles that are readily available?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Double Roman tile maybe.

Few different brands and should say on the underside

Double Roman tile maybe.

Few different brands and should say on the underside
Thanks. Will get someone out to properly assess.
At the moment i'm assuming that's the damaged area? (window cleaner didn't take more photos to see where that sits in relation to the vent etc).

Would I be right to think that its odd to see this type of damage on the tile?
Can't imagine this has been caused by someone walking on the tile? No one has even been up on the roof recently. It looks like something has dropped onto the roof tile to cause this would you say? Or might have been like this from day one. As i wouldn't have thought tiles can erode over time to cause this state?

Damaged tile, maybe from new. Water got in joint and a big freezer split tile open. Tile bits maybe in the gutter or washed away

Sponsored Links
its not a double roman. it is a redland grovebury double pan tile
Curious, how do you know that its a redland like this - redland
I've seen similar ones from - marley
I assume different brands of the same style are not compatible i.e. can only fit the same type and brand

It looks like something has dropped onto the roof tile to cause this would you say?
Keep an eye out - you could find the remains of a meteorite! :)

1684424745396.png

I assume different brands of the same style are not compatible i.e. can only fit the same type and brand

Experience , I can just see the difference between a Redland Grovebury and a Marley Mendip. They don't interchange perfectly .

Hi,

As per the 2 photos taken within the loft space during daytime and the same area during evening
Obviously we can see that light is shining through the roof underlay via a damaged tile during daytime.

Question - Is it normal to NOT have any sheets of plywood boarding in between the roof underlay and the tiles?
I assume how things are installed is that the roof underlay sits across the rafters (in an overlapping manner); then roof battens are fixed over the underlay running across the rafters; finally tiles sit and attached onto these battens.

Or should one expect to have plywood boards to run across the rafters first, then roof underlay, battens and tiles?

Since i can see direct daylight thru the underlay within the loft, it suggests that we don't have any plywood boards? Hence curious if that was normal practice?

Experience , I can just see the difference between a Redland Grovebury and a Marley Mendip. They don't interchange perfectly .
Hi,
We just had our tile replaced based on a like for like quotation.
The old one looks to be a Russell brand (as detailed underneath) think it was a pennine. However, what they replaced was a Marley Mendip i believe.
At the time i never thought much of it, and they never mentioned any issues with fitment.

Having just looked things up online, the sizing its slightly different (418x330 vs 420x330) - based on what was installed is this going to cause issues.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back