Daylight visible from my attic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was hoping to get some expert advice please, I am getting my house ready to sell and I want to make sure it's in as good a condition as possible.

From my attic I can see daylight coming in from all the way down one edge where two sides of my roof join. I would imagine daylight in a roof is not a good thing, but from reading this forum I've seem split opinions about whether it's normal ventilation for old properties or not. The fact it's the whole way along and is also the same on the other side of the beam says to me it might be as it's supposed to be to allow wind to pass through.

I have posted a picture and would appreciate any help as to whether this is ok or if I need to get this repaired. There is no leaking, but a few years ago I did have some leaking which came through the chimney breast to the left of the shot, this was professionally repaired and I've had no trouble since. I don't remember if the daylight was visible then or not. The mortar does seem to have come away more here than in other places, perhaps caused by the roofer standing on this area to repair my chimney?

I've looked from the outside and can't see any problem with the tiles or the flashing and none of the tiles are loose.

Any help would be gratefully received, thank you!

Sponsored Links
If the roof is not leaking then there is no problem. Millions of houses do not have felt and you will be able to see light through it at certain angles etc. it looks like its along a valley. Though a dopey surveyor may pick it up and will write in such a ways as to scare a potential purchaser. Not much you can do about that though really other than hold your own and dismiss their surveyors concerns.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back