De Minimis (margin of error) help regarding new drawings & application.

The process is reliant on the plans being accurate

The plans can be accurate and still include a tolerance. There are always tolerances. Nothing is perfect. e.g. https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/building-tolerances-d_1790.html

For a planning app why wouldn't you put a tolerance on - seems sensible to me??

here's mine passed with no issue.

Image31.jpg

Sponsored Links
The plans can be accurate and still include a tolerance. There are always tolerances. Nothing is perfect. e.g. https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/building-tolerances-d_1790.html

For a planning app why wouldn't you put a tolerance on - seems sensible to me??

here's mine passed with no issue.

View attachment 214028
Nonsense tolerances. Is that a yank site? They don't actually apply to drawing standards anyway.

Just because your plans were approved with a specific statement, does not mean that the statement is actually valid. If its a basic run of the mill extension its not going to be significant to planners anyway. The more contentious the proposed works, the more the plans are studied, and then the more relevant the details on the plans become.

Must have missed that particular instruction, I'd better throw away my tape measures and my levels then!
You wont need to on mr rustys's jobs, you would not know what you were supposed to be measuring with all the random tolerances.

Why are you levelling stuff. What's that got to do with you?

Sponsored Links
Why are you levelling stuff. What's that got to do with you?
Apparently nothing as I have just been informed that no BCO has ever checked any dimensions, drainage levels, roof pitch etc, thank you for that I'll adopt these new practices and send the memo to my colleagues!

Nonsense tolerances. Is that a yank site? They don't actually apply to drawing standards anyway.

No, just a general info site - this is a UK site

https://www.designingbuildings.co.uk/wiki/Construction_tolerances

"These may range from relatively large tolerances for site layouts"

You wont need to on mr rustys's jobs, you would not know what you were supposed to be measuring with all the random tolerances.

Why random? As I hadn't chosen final materials I selected a workable tolerance for my planning purposes that seemed sensible. In my own industry we often come up against minor dimensional tolerances and have to make allowances. The buildings we install in to are built to tolerances which we have to work around e.g. https://construct.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/NSCS-Edition-4.pdf section 10. Funnily enough a whole section on geometric tolerances.

This whole thread started with a question on what is accepted as De Minimis in planning applications. I'll stick with 100mm, because my own experience is that this is accepted. Perhaps others have different experience. AFAIK it isn't written down anywhere, so it is subjective.

You do that. You can spend even more time at home then. (y)
Might as well stop checking occupancy factors, corridor widths, escape window, Part M, staircase headroom etc, apparently no one in the history of building control has ever bothered looking at any of these on site apart from me!!!

You need to work smarter not harder:rolleyes:

Although once the Fire Safety Bill and Building Safety Bill are in place, you might be quite busy.

The original extension has brick face up to DPC, that measures 4 Metres spot on from left to right, then it's rendered above the DPC, this added 20mm each side, so at the bottom below DPC it's 4 Metres across and above DPC it's 4.04 Metres. The original plans state 4 Metres.
A neighbour of mine had some sort of "Monocouche" type stuff applied to his house. Must have made it 2-3cm wider and 4-6cm deeper. Doubt he would have needed permission to extend his house by that amount.

No, just a general info site - this is a UK site

https://www.designingbuildings.co.uk/wiki/Construction_tolerances

"These may range from relatively large tolerances for site layouts"

Why random? As I hadn't chosen final materials I selected a workable tolerance for my planning purposes that seemed sensible. In my own industry we often come up against minor dimensional tolerances and have to make allowances. The buildings we install in to are built to tolerances which we have to work around e.g. https://construct.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/NSCS-Edition-4.pdf section 10. Funnily enough a whole section on geometric tolerances.

This whole thread started with a question on what is accepted as De Minimis in planning applications. I'll stick with 100mm, because my own experience is that this is accepted. Perhaps others have different experience. AFAIK it isn't written down anywhere, so it is subjective.
Then when the digger driver turns up and wants to know the trench lines, and sees a drawing with plus or minus 100mm, where does he dig?

And then if he does plus 100 and the bricky decides to do minus 100 because that works bricks, that could be awkward.

Compare with just writing a specific dimension on the drawing.

It actually is written somewhere, in both the planning regulations and precedent in that the drawing is accurate, and there are various BS for drawings and CAD as well as for the subsequent construction - in which there are tolerances for materials and construction. But that's not to say that the specified dimensions have random tolerances, rather to allow for say a wall that is specified to be 4m long may be 4.01m long when built. You don't specify that a wall might be 4.01m long.

Then when the digger driver turns up and wants to know the trench lines, and sees a drawing with plus or minus 100mm

Exactly where did I indicate these were drawings for construction? They are PLANNING drawings!! Usually why planning drawings have "do not use for construction" on...

I didn't have any dimensions on my planning drawings - it was just a drawing with a scale..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back