De Minimis (margin of error) help regarding new drawings & application.

I didn't have any dimensions on my planning drawings - it was just a drawing with a scale..

This is a very good point. If I've got a job where there might need be a bit of wriggle room I simply don't put dimensions on the planning drawing. Good luck trying to get an accurate scaled measurement from a 1:100 plan.

Although I did come unstuck once when I did this. When I did the construction drawings I realised the parapet wall on the two storey extension would actually be about 200mm taller than I thought to form the box gutter, D'Oh. Probably enough for the planners to realise but I figured it was in a location that they would not be able to measure accurately so I just kept my head down and hoped for the best. Bit naughty really as it was a job I won on appeal so the planners could well have gone back to check.

I've never understood why they allow scaled drawings without dimensions. It must make enforcement very difficult.

Which reminded me of another point. In a previous life about a thousand years ago when I was a BCO we were supposed to check setting out measurements against the planning application (we never did it unless someone kicked up a fuss) but I wonder where this stands when you have private approved building control? They won't have access to the planning drawings and even if they did I cannot imagine they would grass up the customer to the planners?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I've never understood why they allow scaled drawings without dimensions. It must make enforcement very difficult.

If you think about it, it works both ways. It also helps prevent planners getting bogged down with stupid complaints from nitpicking neighbours.

Thanks for everyone's input, been fun reading through the replies!

I'll of course build as spot on as i can to the plans and if it goes over a little then surly that could be forgiven.
Lets face it, not all extensions are absolutely spot on, some over a little and some under a little, i'm basically over worrying.

Sponsored Links
This whole thread started with a question on what is accepted as De Minimis in planning applications. I'll stick with 100mm, because my own experience is that this is accepted. Perhaps others have different experience. AFAIK it isn't written down anywhere, so it is subjective.
It'll be OK, ap
Which reminded me of another point. In a previous life about a thousand years ago when I was a BCO we were supposed to check setting out measurements against the planning application (we never did it unless someone kicked up a fuss) but I wonder where this stands when you have private approved building control?
We used to do it and record it at one authority. The last authority I worked used to send everything off to be microfilmed and it used to take months, so most of the time you never had a plan to check against and they couldn't be viewed on site anyway. Private inspector doesn't have to worry about it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back