Dead boiler!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My (pregnant!) sister just rang me to say that her boiler has died. She has been unable to get any plumbers to come out as they're all mega-busy due to the snow, and wondered if I could suggest anything she could try doing (I couldn't!). She says it's as if there is no power to it. The only other thing that might be connected is that the thermostat was showing that its battery needed replacing. She has done this, but it hasn't made any difference. FWIW, it's a Baxi combi boiler, but doesn't have a model number on it, and she has no documentation for it (it was in the house when she bought it).

Any suggestionns as to anything we could try doing would be much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Check;

Pressure min 1 Bar

Fuse (are lights/display lit on boiler)

Condensate (white plastic) pipe isn't frozen if it runs outside. Defrost with hair dryer.

If it's a wireless prog stat, and new batteries have been fitted, it may need re- bonding, without knowing make model etc it will be difficult for anyone on here to help, somewhere, most likely near the boiler will be the receiver unit,
with hopefully an overide button which pressed should bring on the heating, of course if thats the problem to start with.

Does the boiler have power to it ?, are any lights showing ? any fault numbers/letters flashing?, are there any overide buttons on the boiler, is it giving hot water ? is the world round ? why are we here ? whats the meaning of life ?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies - yes, there's power to it, no, there are no lights/faults flashing on the boiler and no, it's not heating water either.

The condensate pipe outside could well be frozen, but would this cause the boiler to lose power completely?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back