Dead hard drive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've tried to turn on our computer for the first time in quite some time and nothing happens. The power light comes on, and I can hear the fan running, but I can't hear any sound from the HDD. Im assuming it is dead??

If this is the case, is there any way at all of retreiving any of the data stored on the hard drive?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Make sure there is power to it and that the power cable isn't loose.

If it really isn't spinning, your only practical option is to send it to one of the ever growing number of data recovery outfits. The fact that there are more of them these days has caused the cost to drop significantly and makes it a viable option, depending of course on how much value you place on the data. Do a google and you will find plenty. Most reputable firms will provide you with a free quote.

It would also be a good time to review your backup procedures.

Thanks Igorian,

I've pulled all the power cables and data cables out and put them back in to check the connection, but will try once more. I'll also start it up without the case side panel on to check for certain that I can't hear the HD running.

To be honest, we have used the computer for that long (we've had a laptop for 2years and probably haven't used it since we bought that) that I don't even know if there's anything on there we need to recover or not - I just thought if there was a way, it'd be good to check if there's anything of any use on there. Some people would argue that if we haven't needed it in the last two years, it can't be that important.

Will google some data recovery services and see what I can find, but I expect that unless this is very cheap, we wont bother...

You could try downloading Ubuntu ISO to a usb stick. Set the bios of the computer to boot from usb first. Once Ubuntu's loaded, you can open a terminal session up and have a look see if the HDD is seen there. If it isn't detected, then it's pretty safe to assume it's U/S

Sponsored Links
Drnowt - no, the screen stays blank (but don't get the "no signal imput" message. If you think this means its unlikely to be the HD, what else could it be? If the HD is ok and I could find and fix whatever IS causing the fault, i'd rather do that.

Failing that though, rather than buying that device, if the HD is ok, could i just install it as a slave drive in another pc and check what's on it?

From what you now describe, it's possible that the PSU could have (partially) failed. A cheap PSU tester or a multi-meter would give you a better indication. If you have another machine, try slaving the drive as you suggest to see if it comes to life.

The PSU has actually been replaced once already in the life of the computer, so i'd hope it isn't that, but who knows... I've got a multi-meter - so where should i test it - start at the lead which runs to the HDD?

I haven't got another pc, but could bring it to work and stick it in one here to try it here. Might do that.

Yes, first see what dc voltages are available at the connectors. Plenty of information here about the various connector types.

PSU testers give a better indication because they will test under load, which can be tricky with a meter. You can get cheaper ones which just indicate if the correct voltages are present (The "power good" signal for example). Not fantastic bits of kit, but they will work for the purpose of your test.

It's also possible that one of your peripherals is causing the issue, so disconnect any internal cards, USB devices etc so that you have a basic machine (psu, motherboard and monitor).

Another possibility, if the PSU has failed and been replaced previously, is that the one you have isn't up to the job. I personally dislike the cheaper £10-20 jobbies. I think of it as putting 2* in your Porsche :).

As Igorian says, a PSU tester will give better results than a multimeter. My PSU went (after a power surge). The multimeter showed that all voltages were correct, but the computer still wouldn't power up. Further testing revealed that , although the voltages were correct, it wasn't chucking out enough amps to charge a watch battery. ;) ;)

Cheaper option for transferring data from hard drive, I use these myself and very effective, suitable for both ide and sata and 2.5 and 3.5 hard drives.

Other quick things to try would be to reseat the RAM modules, CPU and graphics card (if not built into the motherboard). Also, follow Igorian's advice on removing all peripherals and other internal cards.

You may want to check the monitor also. Maybe plug it into your laptop to test. You sometimes need to press a key combination to flip the display onto an external monitor, normally Fn + one of the F keys (one of them will have LCD or a picture of a monitor on it)

If I end up replacing the PSU, are they pretty standard? And if not, how do I know what spec I need? We've got a few old computers lying around and was going to take one out of one of those - just need to know that that will work.

Brough our pc into work today so going to try some of the things suggested above, firstly with a different monitor as I seem to recall we did once have problems with the monitor... but I still don't think it sounds like its booting up when I turn it on...?

Sponsored Links
Back