I think the motherboard is dead

Sponsored Links
OK. I assumed there was a reason for the pads and I needed to use them again.

Replacement processor arrived this morning.

I've just put it in.

Insert lots of expletives here.

We've got a bit more life than before. It sounds like it's trying to fire up, power light is on, number lock and scroll lock lights are lit, caps lock is flashing.....................

then it just powers down and stops again.

I'm not getting anything on the screen.

I did think of putting the old motherboard back in and trying that, but I've not been particularly careful with it since I took it out. It's been sort of thrown about a bit - is it worth trying or is it something else.

I'm losing the will to live.

Sponsored Links
UPDATE:

I hauled it to bits again, put it back together again and lo and behold it's working - but not properly.

The BIOS screen is coming up, although very slow, then the Windows screen comes on, then it powers off and dies.

I suppose it's a step in the right direction but we're not there yet. :cry:

Had a thought - could it be the graphics drivers? It was an Intel in the old mobo and nVidia in the replacement.

We've got a bit more life than before. It sounds like it's trying to fire up, power light is on, number lock and scroll lock lights are lit, caps lock is flashing.....................

This apparently indicates a memory failure.

Reseat all RAM, and run memtest: http://www.memtest.org/

If you get failures, remove one stick, test again.

Bit more progress. I'm getting to the Windows startup, then it powers off and dies. I tried starting it in safe mode and it got so far and powered off again.

Bit more progress. I'm getting to the Windows startup, then it powers off and dies. I tried starting it in safe mode and it got so far and powered off again.

Run memtest.

Also, you have ensured the heatsink is making proper contact all around?

I did check the heatsink but I'm wondering if that compound I got was maybe not as good as it could be - plus I'm wondering if I've applied it properly. I'm still waiting on the Ceramique arriving - would it be sensible to wait on that, clean off the processor and heatsink and reapply before I try again?

I used the stuff I had just to try it. Don't want to tempt fate and kill it!!

I did check the heatsink but I'm wondering if that compound I got was maybe not as good as it could be - plus I'm wondering if I've applied it properly. I'm still waiting on the Ceramique arriving - would it be sensible to wait on that, clean off the processor and heatsink and reapply before I try again?

I used the stuff I had just to try it. Don't want to tempt fate and kill it!!

It won't be that bad.

Undo the heatsink and lift it off. Clean it thoroughly, apply TIM in a small blob to the GPU die (just that one will be fine for the moment) and carefully set the heatsink down on the CPU. Do not apply any pressure over the GPU. Screw it down, then release and lift it up, GPU end first. If the TIM did not spread over the die, a pad will be required. If it did, repeat the process checking the northbridge for contact. If both are fine, install the heatsink with fresh TIM on all contact points. Never at any point apply pressure to the NB or GPU sections of the heatsink or you'll spoil things.

Pads may end up being required.

That's what I did. I just saw an article for the ceramique which says to spread it on the heatsink (I don't know what it's called - the square bit that goes over the raised bit on the processor) and then to also spread it over the raised bit on the processor so I thought I'd done it wrong.

It had spread out so I'm guessing it was OK then?

I'll go and run memtest and see what that says.

That's what I did. I just saw an article for the ceramique which says to spread it on the heatsink (I don't know what it's called - the square bit that goes over the raised bit on the processor) and then to also spread it over the raised bit on the processor so I thought I'd done it wrong.

There are lots of opinions on applying TIM, and they're all like sweaty armpits. I have two, myself, others may have fewer.. or more!

Suffice it to say a simple blob and spread works just fine.

It had spread out so I'm guessing it was OK then?

If it spreads out thinly without pressure being applied directly over it yes, it should be totally fine. Pads are very often just for convenience (ie. they're harder for the poorly trained, almost unpaid workers to screw up).

Arrrrgggghhhhh, I can't get it to boot from CD to run memtest.

I might have to give up for tonight before I throw it out the bloomin window.

I'm away to start again with my niece's laptop but I've replaced the paste on my own and removed the thermal pads and replaced with paste.

Just done a couple of minutes on Photoshop and temps are reading:

View media item 79495
Is that awful high for what I was doing (less than 5 minutes). I'm terrified I've done this wrong.

Sponsored Links
Back