Potential damp problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We moved house earlier in the year. Prior to this my computer had been in a cupboard which it turned out was a little damp. It was in there without being used for about 6 months. Anyway for the last 4 months it has been in our perfectly dry dining room in the new house. Again it hasn't been used. Any damp in there should have gone.

I rigged it up yesterday and turned it on. All the fans turn and the hard drive's start. But nothing comes on the screen. The power and hdd lights don't illuminate. They are plugged in I checked.

I have tried disconnecting everything unnecessary. All I have connected is one hard drive and the motherboard with memory and processor. All the fans are off except the processor fan. I'm now trying to use on board graphics as I've removed the graphics card.

Still nothing.

I've had the processor off and whilst it looks OK I'm no expert on this and I assume I'd need some sort of powerful microscope to see any damage anyway.

Is it time for a new motherboard? Could it be the power supply? Any common damp faults?

Worth mentioning I built this computer myself about 10 years ago. It was a good spec at the time and actuality still works pretty fast (when I last used it!)

Sponsored Links
replace it.
Plug the HDD into the new one and extract the data if you can.

Sponsored Links
Back