Dead hard drive

Right, test one - connect another monitor. Same problem. Turned it on without the side panel of the case on though and i definitely can't hear anything from the HDD. I now know that the fan I can hear is the PSU fan, not the processor fan.

Second test, stuck the HDD in another computer. fired up and can access all files - so the HD is ok!! I'm guessing this means the PSU has gone. I assume that swapping from a master drive to a slave drive (when installed as a second drive in the other pc) wont affect whether it works or not?

Can anyone give me any advice on swapping the psu - can I swap it with one from another pc I dont use any more??

Sponsored Links
You can possibly swap the PSU with one out of another computer you don't use any more All depends on the main connector to the mobo. It could actually be that your mobo is faulty though.

You now really need to establish if it is the PSU. If you have access to another one with similar output and connectors, you could give this a try. As previously mentioned, a PSU tester would be useful and they are quite cheap.

If you post the PSU make and model number or even google it, you will get an idea of it's quality and spec.

As others have mentioned, it could also be any of the major components, but if the hdd really isn't spinning, the PSU would still be my favourite.

When i put the HD in the other computer you could hear a high pitched whistle when i turned it on, which i assume is the noice it makes when it starts spinning. There is no noise at all when I put it back in my computer.

So the only difference between PSUs are the connectors and build quality - the actual power output isn't an issue??

Sponsored Links
The PSU needs to be powerful enough to run the machine, but we would need to know more about it to advise. Does the high pitch noise come from the PSU (I suspect it will)? This will help you determine the size of PSU required. It's a little complicated, but will put you in the right ball park. Better to have too much than too little though. Just make sure it has all the connector types (and enough of them) you need for your equipment.

Right, put the new PSU in and still got the same problem. So can I assume now that the motherboard is dead? The HD is ok, the monitor works, the PSU is ok, but still nothing happens when I turn it on??

Did you try the suggestions of running the system as bare as possible (removing all non essential cards and peripherals)? Also did you try reseating CPU, RAM, video card etc.?

Other things I would try at this stage would be:

Remove the CMOS battery while power is disconnected. Leave out for a few mins.

Disconnect any additional cables to the motherboard from the case, such as front USB sockets etc. (make a note of where the individual wires were).

If you have compatible RAM modules or CPU in another machine you could try swapping them out.

Physically check the motherboard for domed capacitors or anything else that looks suspect.

Physically check inside the case for something that may be causing a short (stray screw etc.)

Also, if you have another video card you could try, this would also be a worthwhile test.

To be honest there aren't a lot of 'extras' on the machine, but i'll try removing everything that isn't necessary. Can i disconnect the DVD drive and the floppy drive too, just need the HD connected and the graphics card? Should be able to find a spare graphics card to swap. Can't get a CPU to swap but i'll try reseating it, and i've already tried reseating the RAM boards.

Did give the m/board a look over and there's isn't anything that looks like its damaged. Will try the CMOS battery too. Is it worth replacing the battery while i'm taking it out?

Will see if any of this works...

Well, I think i've come to the end of the road. I did try reseating the CPU, and removing everything but the essentials and still nothing happens when I switch it on. However, on closer inspection when I was removing the CPU, i noticed that a row of 6 capacitors next to the CPU have fat bottoms and what looks like some sort of corrosion all over them. I'm guessing this means they've died a sorry death?? And that this means the motherboard has had its day??

Just out of interest, what can cause capacitors to do this? Do they just have a certain lifespan and one day they just fail?

Sponsored Links
Back