Dealing with flaking layer of plaster before painting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've got a problem with a layer of flaking plaster in this bathroom which I need to deal with before painting. See pictures.

IMG_9817.jpeg
IMG_9819.jpeg
IMG_9820.jpeg

I've scraped off quite a lot, to the point where the layer has become much firmer, and I'm wondering if there's a way I can feather in with some filler or smoothover, or whether this area is too big for an low experience DIYer, and needs a plasterer to come and skim maybe this whole wall. I suspect there have been issues with condensation/moisture here, as it's right above the bath.

Any thoughts appreciated, thanks.
SL

Sponsored Links
Flaking? Looks half a cm thick in parts. You could blend it with some filler. A skim would be better but if you want a go yourself you could always use a long peice of wood, put in loads of filler then level it with the wood by putting half the wood on the good plaster and pulling down to fill in the missing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back