Flaking paint under stripped wallpaper. Best fix?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I have recently stripped the wallpaper from my hall and underneath is flaking paint. Here's a picture:

photo-84746.jpg

That's probably the worst wall. Most other walls have a lot more paint still on rather than flaked off.

I've never tackled anything like this before so I've looked for advice on the interwebs and seem to be getting conflicting advice hence I've come here since I believe you are experts? :D

Should I sand the paint off?
Should I apply a coat of thinned emulsion then fill the indentations with... filler (lol?) and then sand?
Should I hire in the experts?

There's only one layer of paint and then the plaster underneath.

Thanks for any help!

Sponsored Links
Since no one else has replied I will give you my DIY experience as I had the same problem recently.

I used pre-mixed plaster skim from Homebase

I removed as much loose paint as possible then applied the plaster skim with a large hamilton stripping knife that I already had and a plastic wall paper spreader.

When applying the plaster skim scrape of any paint that lifts from the wall and refill that part.

Then sand it flat, I used this sanding block from screwfix using 130 grit sand paper.

Then I painted with Dulux matt emulsion watered down by about 20-25% tap water. When I dried it showed up the imperfections some more loose paint which I scrapped off and filled using standard filler

It turned out really good, when I first opened the plaster skim I thought I was going to mess it up but it goes on really easy.

Beware that sanding the plaster skim creates a lot of dust, the plaster is really easy to sand with the flat hand sander.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back