Dealing with peeled paint following wallpaper removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I recently removed some wallpaper from the wall and in some places the paint has also peeled off the wall back the plaster (see picture below).

I am looking to paint the walls ultimately and wondering how I prep the peeled section so that I end up with a good smooth finish to paint on. I did consider getting the walls skimmed, however was looking at other options first and wondering if there are any products out there that would help.

Thanks in advance for any advice

Attachments

• 20191102_151958.jpg
    20191102_151958.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 382
Sponsored Links
A steamer and scraper would allow you to scrape the paint off. Take care not to dig in too much.sanding the whole wall will take ages and create a lot of dust

Thanks for the response. I was hoping that there was something that could be applied to the walls to seal it all, however looks as though that is not possible

if you paint over a "hole" in the under paint, it will show.
you could sand it down so the edges are feathered but if one bit of paint came off, more might.

Sponsored Links
You could chase the edges back to solid attachment with a blade, but it is agonisingly slow. I wouldn't steam either. The paint is unlikely to come off without a fight and you risk damaging the plaster as you scrape away.

Zinsser do a stabalising paint. It seeps in around the edges of the damage but it doesn't soak through to make loose paint stick. I'd have a look at their site or even give them a call. They've always willing to advise.

Either way you'll end up with an uneven surface. You could either fill and feather the edges with a powder filler. That'll hide the worst of it unless the light catches it.

You'll still end up with a wall that absorbs paint differently depending if it's on plaster, filler or old paint. Two coats will be a minimum.

Or paper over with a thick lining paper. That'll hide pretty much everything. Then paint.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back