Dealing with raised concrete on floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a problem with the floor in our kitchen and living room. The living room has a raised concrete area of a few milliimetres where there used to be a hearth for a fireplace. I will be putting laminate flloring down in the room and using underlay so wondered if would get away with just putting the flooring over the raised area or if I would need to get the floor level. If the llatter, would I be better off using self levelling compound to get the floor to the higher level, of try to get the concrete to the lower level? If the latter, what would be the best/easiest way to do this? I've put a couple of pictures in for reference.

Similar kind of issue in the kitchen. I think the raise concrete used to be a pantry/larder between the kitchen and dining room but that must have been removed csome time ago. I am planning to tile the kitchen so suspect it is more important to get it exactly level than in the other room so again have the problem of how best to get the floor level. Again I've added some pictures. The raised part is much more evident on the dining room side of the concrete than the kitchen side (the fourth picture is from the kitchen side, it is actually a very smooth continuartion onto the concrete from there).

As ever, any help or advice is very gratefully received.
Many thanks,
Rob

Sponsored Links
I would definitely go for an SLC where your tiling, you need a nice flat tile base especially if your considering large format tiles. Make sure you do any necessary preparation & use quality trade tiling products suitable for your tile base & tiles, DIY products are mostly inferior.

An SLC is probably the least hassle if not more expensive option where you laying laminate as well. I doubt very much you’ll get away with just putting underlay over the raised area, it will show if not immediately then before too long. Post this one in the Floors/Stairs/Lofts forum as the laminate/wood flooring experts live in there.

will do, thanks for your help. i wasn't 100% sure which forum to put it in so will try the flooring one as well

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back