Dear Admin

Sponsored Links
they only ask for name and registration,they don't actually phone anyone to confirm?easy to register with a random gas safe number lol

There is a certain aspect to keeping things away from the general public, ie repairing a boiler illegally, but there is also a need to understand, what things cost, and how things are costed.

I don't know if this thread refers to my recent post, about gasmen, stealing/ripping off/not up to the job...

But to hide away, in a secret little forum, seems strange, you would have thought an external forum exists for that, as it does for TV and Radio repair, where you have to pay to be a member?

There gets a point, which is information to explain the basics, and a How To guide...and for the uninitiated to follow such information is dangerous.

For example, I 'became' an expert on a certain alarm system for a certain car, and as a member of a car club, would post guides and information. Then one day this newbie came on, asking quite detailed information...so I thought...Is this person asking how to steal these cars? Or does the person need genuine help? I was quite guarded after that, rightly so, and I think the gasmen feel the same way, but to ringfence this group is wrong. Especially after the experience that I've just had. I'm not saying the rates charged are wrong, many people misconceptions are you pay for what you know, not what you do. But time and time again, you get these people on Watchdog, or my experience, heaven knows HOW many people are ripped off. But £80 odd quit for a call out, to reset a trip, or top up the system?

I think the Gasmen of this world should be open, share, upto a point. And if the fault is something stupid, like resetting a trip, waive their fee...then get repeat business, as they are recommended to their friends.

The thread is in response to joe-90 being incensed by the existence of a private forum (even though he's probably a moderator or even administrator and has full access anyway ;) ). He does like to play :LOL:

I agree with some of your sentiments and definitely a no-fix no-fee policy should be a common agreement.

Sponsored Links
If I work on my own boiler on the wet side,,, am I breaking any laws though?? At the end of the day, if I diagnose the fault to be on the wet side,, I'm not actually working on gas?? Would you say I have to call out a gassafe registered plumber to replace a faulty PRV?
Simple answer has to be NO. ;) ;)

Feel free to disagree,,, but half the corgi/gassafe reg people I've called out,, couldn't diagnose a common cold (had they been a doctor) ;) ;) ;) ;)

I've always liked joe90. Very funny bloke.
And ultra intellligent too. Plus a fantastic musician. a real master of everything he touches :LOL: :LOL: definitely my number 1 hero.

Be fair though :D .

He never reacts to the massive abuse he gets. It's like water off a ducks back.

Of course I realize he is probably about ten different names , but that doesn't really matter. He's funny as f*ck. :D

I agree with some of your sentiments and definitely a no-fix no-fee policy should be a common agreement

I used to advertise 'no fix, no fee', then I went to this characters house, half hour journey there and half hour back. Spent over half an hour stripping out and testing the boiler. Told him exactly what it needed, priced up the part, gave him a very reasonable price to go and get part and fit (price of part plus 60 quid labour). Told me he'd think about it.
OK says I that'll be 45 quid for the diagnosis (which is too cheap). No chance says he, you haven't fixed it. Then he had the cheek to get a cob on when I picked up my tools and left his boiler spread all over the floor.
They should have telly programmes on rogue customers, because there are forkin millions of them out there. :evil:

Then he had the cheek to get a cob on when I picked up my tools and left his boiler spread all over the floor

So I take it the term "the customer is always right" sends shivers down your spine then sooey.???? :LOL:

The ringleader of said ne'er do wells is now running amok on the plumbing forum, even using false IDs to start bogus threads.

Just ban him then, whoever he is.

Your quite famous in the CC jOE they have had a good old slag about you . You should see what they have said ;)

Admin is also going to give them there own private GD forum

Sponsored Links
Back