Debris in hot water cylinder, advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
When i recently ran some hot water for the bath and sink i have what looks like tiny bits of rockwool insulation and other bits of fine debris in the hot water, on inspection of the storage tank in the loft i found that someone had covered it with a piece of chipboard which has now started to fall apart, and the bottom of the tank was full of debris, i have cleaned out the storage tank but need to clean out the hot water cylinder as there are still bits in the hot water even though i have let the water run through the taps several times, any advice on cleaning out the cylinder would be appreciated.

Steve

Sponsored Links
Certainly thats an awkward one with the cylinder in place and personally I'd let it flush itself through in time....unless you think that there is enough debris to cause a blockage of course. The hot water exits from the top of the cylinder.
So, either remove the cylinder (spring or summer job!) for a good hose pipe flush or you could get in there via the immersion heater hole, and suck the rubbish out using a wet vacuum cleaner I guess. Naturally though the heating coil is in the way to some degree. Only a suggestion though!
John :)

thanks for the reply, if i was to run the hot water tap how long should i expect it to run before it becomes clear, and would it be worth opening the drain valve to see what sediment comes out.
cheers
Steve

My advice would be to ignore any further little bits of insulation.

If they have not blocked the taps already any remaining little bits are less likely to do so.

They are inert and will do no harm left in the bottom of the cylinder.

I really dont understand those who cover storage tanks with wood. Although it does give me jobs to do.

The bodge way is to place a plastic sheet over the top and then put the wood over that so it stays dry.

The usual occurance is for the wood to sag and push down on the ball valve and cause to tank to overflow. Hopefully to the outside but sometimes through the ceiling if the over flow pipe is not there or wrongly fitted.

Tony

Sponsored Links
i have just filled the bath up to see what was still lurking in the water and although i can ignore the bits of insulation and and small dust like particles,i prefer showers anyway, i must admit than when a couple of long dead woodlice are floating in the bath water i cant really ignore it especially when i need to bath my two year old daughter i have to fill the bath from the shower.
Steve

Seriously, you've stopped the debris getting in, and cleaned the tank out so the remaining gunge will disappear very soon - just run a few baths with the hot tap full on and you'll see what I mean.
If you are referring to a gravity shower, take the head off from time to time and clear away any grot from there....if its an electric one, disregard that comment!
John :)

if i was to run the hot water tap how long should i expect it to run before it becomes clear, and would it be worth opening the drain valve to see what sediment comes out.

Answer 1 - How long is a piece of string?

Answer 2 - It wouldn't do any harm

Note:- When you drain a hot water cylinder there is about a gallon of water remaining in the cylinder. Only way to get rid of this is as was said before, take the cylinder out, turn it upside down and empty it then flush it through.

To do this you will probably have to drain the heating system too. Allow about 3-4 hrs for works.

If you don't feel up to this task get someone in to do it for you. Ask for quotes beforehand.

Personally i'd just wait ;)

Isolate the cold water tank outlet and turn on the hot taps to get rid of any water in the pipes. The only easy way into the cylinder is via the immersion heater hole - but have plenty of towels when you undo this.

Once open, you can syphon off in the usual way with a hose, and if you have access to an aquavac then you should be able to get rid of the worse of the sediment from the bottom.

dextrous";p="1498722 said:
but have plenty of towels when you undo this./quote]

Thats what the drain valve is for :LOL:

I'd like to see your average punter get an immersion out and back in:LOL:

Maybe better look the towels out after all :LOL: :LOL:

tamz";p="1498728 said:
but have plenty of towels when you undo this./quote]

Thats what the drain valve is for :LOL:

I'd like to see your average punter get an immersion out and back in:LOL:

Maybe better look the towels out after all :LOL: :LOL:
I was talking about for wiping the sweat off his fevered brow ;) :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

He'll need them if he trys to get an immersion out, especially if its been in for 40 years :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back