Decent multimeter

I remember an erudite friend telling me about sealed for life engines ages ago. Don't know if it's happening yet but one day we'll say goodbye to oil and filter changes etc. Good or bad? I'm not sure. I quite enjoy being in control of maintenance but as I've got older I'm more lazy about it TBH.

Sponsored Links
It is their customers who, certainly in terms of mass-market products, demand and expect the cheapest possible product.
Very true, but the same customers complain when the low cost car they purchased incurs high repair costs.

Big Tone said:
I remember an erudite friend telling me about sealed for life engines ages ago.
Remember those poor quality cars with sealed for life petrol tanks. ? :mrgreen:

I'm not entirely sure it's the shifting tech that's the problem. It seems smart to do away with all that cabling and just have a chip that reads from a data pin and then sinks current into x number of addressible pins. Oh, wait, that's the Dallas 1-wire network!

Since I'm yet to drive a car that doesn't have headlights, indicators or brake lights, it would make sense for the manufactuers to get together, agree upon, share the cost of developing and PUBLISH a standard interface and data protocol, instead of constantly trying to reinvent the wheel and coming out with something that's square. One might cynically suggest that it's an attempt by the manufactuers to obfuscate the kit and so protect their service revenues. A bit like when I lived in Sicily, my windows kept getting broken. Evenutually I got ****ed off and paid £1,000 a year for a company for protection. These guys were amazing. Never ever saw any of them, except when the money was due but the windows were never broken again.

I recently spent a considerable number of hours troubleshooting a lighting problem in a 15 year old car and it was a f***ing nightmare. Spent hours chasing the wrong lead, not being able to follow things cause they disappeared into rabbit holes or harnesses that branched and you had no idea which branch it followed since everything was wrapped in black insulating tape. The docs I had were f***ing useless. The colour codes were all wrong and a key component was missing from the wiring diagram. Also when I went to the manufactuerer and asked them to locate a relay, the even apologised because they doc they were sending me looked like a five year-old had crayoned it on the back of a fag packet.

Imagine being a spark and working in a world where the colour of domestic wiring was chosen arbitrarily by each house builder and changed each year and was different for detatached, semi or bungerlow.

The same problem existed in the computer industry where each manufactuer invented their networking protocol to go with their hardware. All it ever did was create a massive ball ache for any poor sole who should own any of their equipment. Then along came the Internet and the powers that be said "you can either talk TCP/IP on this network or you can f*** off!" and all of a sudden, this problem magically went away!

It is their customers who, certainly in terms of mass-market products, demand and expect the cheapest possible product.
Very true, but the same customers complain when the low cost car they purchased incurs high repair costs.
They do, indeed, but I really have no sympathy - they cannot (or should not) expect to have it both ways.

The price differentials are often so enormous, the repair costs of even the 'easily repairable' items often so high, and the obsolescence of many things due to technological advances so rapid to appear, that I have to say that (with apologies to the 'green' considerations!) there is often no rational alternative (for me) to going for cheap (and maybe 'nasty') and essentially 'disposable' products. ... but I accept the implications and consequences of that approach, and don't moan if I have to replace the product earlier than I would have hoped.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
When the steering lock on my car failed the engine control unit ( ECU ) refused to start the car. Hence a recovery service was needed to get the car home and then another trip to the main dealer.

The lock was OK. the fault was the communication port in the lock's micro-processor. Fortunately it failed in a super market car park. Had it been on a road in a remote location then the inconvenience and possible risks would have been much higher.

Older technology would have allowed the lock to be removed and a couple of wires joined to "cheat" the ECU into thinking the steering was unlocked. The the car could be driven to a safe place until a repair could be made.

Modern cars are designed for easy, fast and low cost assembly with little thought about ease and costs of repair and maintainance.

But again, the only reason theres a steering lock solenoid and position sensor and all that crap, is because they've decided to remove the ignition key and give you a plastic slot and a button instead. The slot and button serves NO purpose whatsoever, and gives NO advantages over a standard key (infact its actually worse, because theres now two actions required in seperate physical locations!), but now means that instead of a nice mechanical steering lock that NEVER went wrong, you've got a whole pile of unreliable electronics clarted onto it that doesnt need to be there.

K.I.S.S. needs to be applied!

Same as electronic handbrakes. What exactly does it gain you? Its added complexity for no gain whatsoever.

I can fully understand it in places. I'd far rather have a nice modern EFI petrol with wideband lambda sensor and electronically controlled turbocharger than a carb and a distributor with points. Because it has actual tangible benefits. Or a common rail diesel than one with indirect injection and a lucas rotary pump. The car makes more power, uses less fuel, becomes nicer to drive etc etc.

Similarly modern advances in braking systems with ESP etc are useful, sure not everyone will like the nannying, but for the vast majority of people it makes the car far safer than having no ABS at all. This is a good thing.

It just seems to me that they've reached a point with these technological improvements, and tried to start splashing them around EVERYWHERE inside the car, rather than only where its actually an improvement. Then they make it worse by using non-standard proprietary locked down interfaces for everything making working on it all completely impossible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back