Decent ridging mortar mix?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys.

Whats the best mix to do your ridging??

Reason I ask is because when I find myself having to do it I find it really really really boring!!! :( !!!!

I put it down to the mix TBH!! lol!!! I know this sounds crazy but I find it SO hard to manage, I:E - Keeps falling off the trowel, Or just basically unmanagable (sp?)

If I could get the perfect mix I'm sure It'd be more enjoyable/easier/quicker??? I know the 3:1 mix, but is it just luck when you add the water? Does PVA make it any easier?? When is the best time to add this??

Cheers Guys

:oops: :oops:

Sponsored Links
I use 50% builders sand and 50% sharp sand.
Builders sand for ease and sharp sand for durability.

Dont use PVA in any exterior mix.
Believe me roofers apprentices, who get all the pointing, at any given site take any mix, even compo from the brickie's, and work away. It's trowel work that makes the job at ridges, hips and wet verges - i was taught by Rob Thomson at Bolton Tech. roofing dept. a brilliant instructor and tradesman, and he made me do it again and again and then once more. I learned, but never liked doing pointing.

Practice at ground level for speed, judge the set, and dont fiddle with the finish.

My brothers a brickie and he always adds Plasticiser to the mix....he reckons its easier to work with / stick to the trowel.

Sponsored Links
I find it SO hard to manage, I:E - Keeps falling off the trowel, :oops: :oops:
Tap the trowel with the compo on it against the bucket - it`ll stick then ;) Told to me by my Great Uncle - a Ashdown forest brickie ;)

Aye, I was told that as well Nige, If the compo sticks to your trowel then you've got yourself a decent mix :D

My problem is getting that ''DECENT MIX''?? :oops: :oops:

I'm going down the route of fitting a dry ridge system lately. Seem's alot easier but a slightly more expensive way of ridging. Maintenance free as well. I'm fitting em faster than my oppo can get them up to me. :eek:

use a mixer and gauge in your sand and cement using a pale ie 3 pales of sand and one pale of cement.Dont add water to fast give it a minute to mix also a little spot of fairy liquid works wonders and try make the mix a little tighter than what brickies would use this will reduce mess on the slate/tiles and stop it running all over the place

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back