Deck lighting cable gnawed by rodents

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had some deck lights installed in the summer and I've just noticed tonight that the last 3 lights in the run are off. I've found the wire leading from the last working light has been gnawed through.

What's the best way to protect the wiring from rodents once repaired? Flexible conduit or is there something better?

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
I know British rail used impregnated cable at one point, we were warned not to strip it with out teeth and to wash hands after working with it, but unless using mineral insulated cable, I assume rodents will not attack copper? the method is to get rid of the rodents, and although cats may not kill them, they do not like to be in the same area as them.

There are some dogs which will go for them as well, but the local council it seems will often help, I know were we did live the deeds stopped the keeping of ducks, hens etc. Can't remember the wording, but also stopped keeping birds, seems the bird seed can encourage them. But the deeds also stopped running a business from the premises with the exception of lawyers, doctors, and dentists, which raises questions about working from home.

I used Adaptaflex conduit for a sauna in a shed at a rural property with a known furry critter population, so far so good I think, not cheap though.

Sponsored Links
I believe they love living under decking, its like having their own personal pergola.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back