deck trimming - help me megawatt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a raised deck and i want to clsoe off the gap underneath.
The gap is only 10" in height and I am hoping to run a couple of deck boards horizontally flush with the edge of my deck. My problem is - what do i attach the boards to. I could attach the top board to the outside of the frame, but that relies on my frame being sqaure and then how do i attach the bottom board?

Any tips?

Sponsored Links
why not screw some 2x2 on the flip side and screw new boards to that?

excuse me for coming across stupid but what do you mean the flip side.

Are you saying to screw 2 X 2 pieces of timber vertically on to the front of my frame and then attach boards to this?

not the front bit you can see, but the back of the front bit

that way they will all be the same "flush ness"

Sponsored Links
if i screw a piece of 2X2 on to the back of the frame then surely the bottom section below the frame is going to sit in 2".

no because your new timbers you screw to the front of it

once youve built your frame attach the fascia board first and have it proud of the fram by the height of the boards being laid. this will give you an edge to finish to and looks neater. There wont be a problem unless your frame is not square and you are looking for the boards to pertrude over the edge to compensate for this. If that is the case then use some packers along the edge of the frame at intervals to give the fascia board something to fix to

Sorry for the late reply ... I've been working hard :LOL:

How you do this really depends on how you've built your frame. If you've done it traditionally with beams and joists you should have banding or framing joists at the edges and to create a closed deck like mine you simply add "legs" to the framing joists every 3 feet or so to attach the horizontal deck boards to ... I used leftover joist timber for this.

As it's generally a good idea to protect end grain of deck boards wherever possible (as this is where water damage is most severe) I cut the wild ends flush with the framing joists first and then lay the horizontal boards to cover the end grain (flush with the top of the deck boards).

I've attached a couple of photos to show what I mean.

In the image below I've marked the legs with red dots ...

DeckFraming.jpg

And this one shows the end result ...

DeckFraming2.jpg

Hope it's useful (and not too late ;) )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back