Decking Advice - Cracking Noise From Boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm coming to the end of a decking project. The frame is really firm and rigid with very little movement, but I have laid some boards on to it and when I walk on them, I hear a bit of a cracking noise sometimes. I can't feel much movement.

I can't screw the boards down any more as the heads are snugly into the countersunk hole already, any further and they start to go through deep into the wood. Joists are 38cm apart.

Any ideas of what this noise is and how I can lessen it on the remaining boards still to be fitted? Is it just the wood bedding in? I'd hate to have come this far and done everything so carefully, only for the "easy" bit at the end to let me down.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Cheers guys, another 0 reply thread on this forum.

Stand where the cracking noise is then unscrew the board and screw it back in again while your weight is on it.

I didn't realise I was obliged to reply within 24 hours...

Sponsored Links
Yeah it's raised decking (my other 0 reply thread asked about laying over wonky patio, in the end I raised it all up).

Joists are 4 x 2, there are feet on the joists every 90cm and randomly spaced cross bearers too. Joists are 38cm apart, 3.6m long. The boards are around 28mm thick. It all feels rigid with very little movement, it just sometimes gives a creek/crack sound at some points (but not necessarily again and again at the same point).

As it rained today I noticed water was slower to drain off one particular bit, and on closer inspection the joist there is a couple of mm too low, so it gently drains off as planned and then reaches this lower joist, then goes up again, causing a temporary puddle. I am thinking the issue could be related? Options of either redoing the whole joist, or just making sure I wedge a bit of something under each board when it crosses that joist.

It sounds like that lower joist is the issue and when you are walking over its putting strain on the decking over it. Just do what you said pack it up all along that joist.

What you want is a logish straight edge or long spirit level that reaches over 3 joists then you will be able to see how bad it dips and how much to pack it up.

Yes its a shame when this happens, I do particularly like the way you never say thanks for the help you've been offered on this forum where many a professional and DIYer give up their own free time and dispense their knowledge for free. Shame on them! A-hole!

Yes its a shame when this happens, I do particularly like the way you never say thanks for the help you've been offered on this forum where many a professional and DIYer give up their own free time and dispense their knowledge for free. Shame on them! A-hole!

That's funny, my first post in this very thread says thanks. I haven't finished on this thread but will duly thank those who have been helpful (but won't lower myself to your level with insults to those who can only offer sarcasm and false accusation).

It sounds like that lower joist is the issue and when you are walking over its putting strain on the decking over it. Just do what you said pack it up all along that joist.

What you want is a logish straight edge or long spirit level that reaches over 3 joists then you will be able to see how bad it dips and how much to pack it up.

Thanks, will give this a go tonight.

Oh right, so by saying thanks occasionally at the end of your first post in a thread exonerates you from ever saying it again? Muppet!

Oh right, so by saying thanks occasionally at the end of your first post in a thread exonerates you from ever saying it again? Muppet!

Nobody is forcing you to reply. There's only one person here displaying poor manners, let alone resorting to petty insults.

Nobody is forcing you to reply. There's only one person here displaying poor manners, let alone resorting to petty insults.
Hmm, I'll wager you'll say thanks a bit more often though! ;) :mrgreen:

Ok, so the cracking goes away with a bit of screw tightening but the dip in the deck due to warped joists really bugs me when it has rained as the water sits for a while and goes against how I designed it.

Couple of questions:

1) How big an issue is standing/slow draining water on decking boards? The grain is shallow as we preferred the reverse side rather than the deep grooves.

2) What could I use to quickly and easily build up the dipped joists under the deck board to level them off and continue the incline? I was thinking along the lines of a thin (few mm) strip wood but I can't see any of external grade. I could easily slide that along the joist without completely removing all the boards I've done so far.

Thanks (in advance, at this stage...).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back