Decking advice needed?!! Bearer spans etc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

Decided to start my first ever decking project with a nice and hopefully easy rectangular bit which will be about 8m by 2.4m. Plan is to use 3 existing concrete pad foundations(big circular ones) holding up the house along the 8m length, and project it out 2.4m.
Planning to use 47x200 bearers which according to this site:
http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/load-bearing_walls.htm
will allow 4m spans at 400mm centres. I plan to essentially make 2 frames 4x2.4 and stitch them together and bed down 3 concrete blocks parallel to the house. So including the existing founds the whole lot will be held up by 6 pads. The spans will run parallel to the house and the decking will cross this perpendicular to the house.
Have I missed anything in this bit regarding the load bearing capabilities ie- will a joist 4m long secured at only both ends by a few screws be ok or should I use joist hangers? Any advice welcome...

The second headache is decking quality....I could do it with Wickes/B&Q for about £300, but reviews on their sites all look hit and miss, and the wood can't be that good quality surely?
We have a local sawmill that do a huge amount of stuff, paid them a visit yesterday and was very impressed with this product....
http://www.russwood.co.uk/decking/product.php?ID=23&Prod=siberian-larch

But...cost would be nearer £700 for the larch...our house is larch clad though so this seems a logical choice, and it's not pressure treated it doesn't need it, which makes any cuts etc no problem with end treating etc....

Can anyone advise whether the stuff from Wickes etc is durable and good, or high maintenance rubbish worth avoiding?
We've a fairly large garden (half acre!) and I've a mountain of jobs to do so low maintenance is important...

Oh...and it's free delivery from this local place :D

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't buy from the sheds even if it is the same type of timber. For our decking we both from a local timber yard, the boards are almost twice the thickness of the B&Q boards and they were still chipper. Shop around, there are probably more than one supplier in your area and sometimes there is a huge price difference for the same product.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back