Decking advice needed (with pics)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all. I'm starting a decking project while the weather has turned nice Its around 14 x 12 foot and will need to be elevated around a foot to get me up to the conservatory floor level as I plan to step out from there right onto deck, and have the decking run the same direction as flooring covering the steps running away from doors.

Not sure whether to go 45 degree on corner or leave it square. I plan to get the base done first then overlay with composite boards (money permitting) but Ive a few questions if anyone could advise on the base would be great.

Attaching a ledger board (6x2) ?? to the house under the lip of dashing IN PICTURE (painted black) is that above or below the damp proof?... would I need flashing or just keep the ledger slightly away from wall with shims etc to allow drainage?

Unsure what supports to use for the the bearers. don't want to sink 4 x 4 posts into the ground cause of rot and those concrete post supports & metal post anchors work out dear as I reckon ill need around 12? also read of some people cementing in cavity blocks with wood on top to nail the bearers onto?

And can anyone tell me how much I should order how many and what length joists & bearers i'll need. I have the area ready and have all tools necessary for the job just need the supplies now. Appreciate any help on this never knew anything about decking until yesterday thanks!!!

Sponsored Links
I'm unable to open your pictures, so I can't see exactly where you are placing the deck.

However, you say you want to raise the deck by about 12" and I'm unsure if that's including the height of the bearers or not.

Remember that if you use 6" x 2" bearers, with the boards on top you have a good 7" above the ground anyway.

Using 4" x 4" post isn't that bad, if you use tanalised wood, it will be guaranteed for 10 years and you can soak it in wood preserver before you concrete the posts in to lengthen the life.
Alternatively you can just place the bearers onto concrete pads.

As regards how many boards etc you will require, it will depend upon the lengths taht your supplier has, try to get the lengths with the least wastage for your project and it's just a simple calculation of overall width divided by the width of the boards you are using.
Bearers need to be about 2ft centres for the best results.

There si loads of information on this subject on the net, just put decking into your serach engine. :) :)

you need to keep it below 300mm high to avoid the need for planning permission

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that forgot to ask about a step down (riser) think I'd only need one for a foot high?. what extra sub frame lumber would I need for that and any how to's? thanks

Well, if I'm reading all of this correctly, you will only be 12" off the ground at the surface of the deck, so a 6" step would be ok.

Just use some of the 6" x 2" Bearer and form a box, fixing it to the front bearer shouldn't be too much of a problem and you've then go the basis of your step.
:D :D

please aim for 11.5 to 11.75" not 12" the regs say 300mm
the last thing you want is somone complaining unjustly and you having to remove for the sake off 5mm :( :(

Thanks I appreciate the planning concerns. Good thinking on forming a box then cladding it with decking boards. thanks.

You say bearers two foot centers and they recommend joists every 16 inches. anyone think this might be overkill? I don't want the deck ending up like a trampoline either?

Also if using all that lumber would I even need joist hangers or how would be best tying the bearers and joists together with nails or some sort of steel ties/anchors?

Sorry for all the questions appreciate any recommendations thanks

Try These for fixing the Joists together ( Other makes and sizes are available )

http://www.screwfix.com/p/timber-tite-joist-screw-6-5-x-80mm-pack-of-20/95586

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50-200mm-..._Material_Nails_Fixing_MJ&hash=item2c55b606bd

You may need joist hangers if you can't build it in one run ( I mean if you don't use joists that are the full length of your deck and you have to put in a mid section), or if for instance you are building at the wall and can't get in to screw through ( If you understand what I mean )

I have used 2ft centres and had no problem, particularly with 6" Joists, you should be ok, assuming that you use a good quality decking board, some are thinner than others. ( Cheaper, but thinner !! )

:D :D

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Hey thanks Arthur for your help, its been great!!!. I can get 14 foot joists one way and 12 foot bearers the other so no joins THANKFULLY. so maybe forget about a ledger and joist hangers and just pilot hole where they meet and screw in those joist screws either side then. I assume 80mm would suffice. :D

Thanks for your help Arthur its been great!!. I done a mock up of the finished deck hopefully its turns out similar :D

2ihlee1.jpg

That's the missus on the left looking well impressed. Will post up finished pics when done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back