Decking and DPC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I about to start construction on a new ground level deck.

If the deck is to be 150mm below the DPC of the building, this will mean that the deck will have to be level with the surrounding ground level. This will be no problem as I am intending to use some clay pavers between the deck and surrounding ground/grass as an edging course.

However, I just wondered whether it would look better and more of a feature to raise the deck slightly above the rest of the ground. This will mean that I need to reduce the gap between the DPC and deck.

Is it acceptable to compromise the DPC and is it really worth raising the deck slightly above the existing ground anyhow?

Any views or experiences would be much appreciated as me and the Mrs are having conflicting views at the moment. There may be trouble ahead...

Thanks as ever,

Damian

Sponsored Links
you may "get away with it" if the deck does not touch the wall with the dpc

if the dpc is breached by the decking touching the wall you will be asking for trouble

Hi,

Thanks for the reply - should have stated that in the worst case the decking will still be 50mm below the DPC but not the 150mm that is sometime recommended.

Thanks,

Damian

its not an issue with decking, however you can use shims between the wall plate and the wall to avoid it touching.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

Please can I ask one last question - I will have to lower the existing ground level to accommodate the deck. I will be fixing two sides of the deck (9 sq. mtrs) to two walls but will need to support the rest of the frame.

I was thinking of installing some concrete pads (50 x 50 x 15cm) at 1 metre intervals across the decking area. I was then thinking about using something to lift the frame timbers off the concrete to set the levels and minimise water penetration. Does this sound a sensible idea?

I was also thinking about using some right angled brackets or the EasyFix Batten System (EasyFix) for lifting the joists off the concrete. Does anyone know if this would work or have any experience of these things?

As ever, I would appreciate any views or experiences as I'm just about to get all the material ordered.

Many thanks,

Damian

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back