Decking and Highways

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Been reading a lot on here about decking.

Am I correct in thinking that PP is needed if you intend to erect decking within 20m of a highway irrespective of whether it is ground-level or raised?

Can anyone tell me what Act of Parliament brought these regs in please.

Basically, I am wondering whether a ground-level bit of decking in my front garden [which is directly adjacent to the footway (highway)] would require PP.

Thanks as ever.

Sponsored Links
Am I correct in thinking that PP is needed if you intend to erect decking within 20m of a highway irrespective of whether it is ground-level or raised?
No, distance from the highway is of no consequence, height of decking is though.

If its on your land there is no reason to apply for pp for ground floor decking.

Ben
GARDEN OF KENT
www.crapgardensofkent.com
Jeez, woe betide anyone asking you if their proposed decking ideas need PP or not! :rolleyes:

Not sure what your getting at there with quoting me on this comment, as we both agreed on the same thing, the question I was answering is relating to ground level decking only. Perhaps next time be a bit more mature in your replies.

Sponsored Links
No, distance from the highway is of no consequence, height of decking is though.

Right - so what you are saying is that I can lay ground-level decking in my front garden right next to the highway (footway) without requiring PP. I would only need PP if the deck was a raised one (more than 30cm)??

Can you tell me where the actual legislation can be found please?

Many thanks.

Have seen the info on the links - thanks anyway.

However, many sites including The Timber Decking Association site appear to say you need PP for decking irrespective of whether it is low-level or raised (below 300mm) if the site is within 20m of a highway. See here:

http://www.tda.org.uk/t/timber-decking-guide/planning-building-regulatio/

I remain confused

:oops:

Essentially, I want to put up a small section of decking in my front garden. It will start at the front gate which is immediately adjacent to the footway.

What I don't want to do is go to the time and expense of putting it all up only to be told to remove it by the council.

I've looked up the old and new Town and Country Planning Acts and they are as clear as mud!

Dear oh dear, you are getting in a right pickle about this aren’t you.

OK have a look here: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2008/2362/schedule/made

Scroll down to Item E.1. (g) where you’ll find it says ‘it would include the construction or provision of a veranda, balcony or raised platform;’

Then scroll down to Interpretation of Part 1 where it states that “raised” in relation to a platform means a platform with a height greater than 300 millimetres;.

Nowhere in the legislation does it say that it must not be within 20m of the highway.

The websites you have been looking at are simply out of date.

BTW the 300mm is measured from the highest undisturbed ground level.

freddymercurystwin,

Many thanks for the clarification. I have read the legislation and I am happy that you are correct.

Sorry to have harped on but I wanted to be sure before I start the project.

It strikes me that there is a lot of misinformation around regarding this issue. I am particularly disappointed that some allegedly professional sites are clearly giving the wrong information out as have some posters on this site in the past.

Thanks again.

:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back