Decking electrics

syl

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
An electrical supply to decking will be provided by an electrician (from a spare way on the existing shed CU with RCD protection that he connected a year ago) when he comes to do some other work in the house. I'll ask him to terminate in an external double socket attached to a post, or maybe a wiska box.

The decking isn't yet complete, and I will want to extend the electrical provision when it is (clipped to joists under the deck). This should be a simple job not worthy of his time - but what's best to use, more SWA or something like hi-tuff or rubber +/- plastic conduit? If it's SWA I will probably have to get him back later because it looks like a pain to gland off into every socket/FCU/switch/light.

I may also add some low level 12V deck lighting - these seem to plug in and have a short lead to a transformer before the 12V cable. Would I be better off cutting the plug off and attaching the cable directly to an external fused switch instead of leaving plugged in to an external socket? Do these transformers need to be situated in a waterproof box?

Sponsored Links
If the cabe ail be clipped under the deck, then rubber insulated cable, of the correct csa, will be fine. Use stuffing glands at the Wiska box.

Re the transformers. No need for awaterproof box if they designed to be outside. They will need to have the appropriate IP rating if they are. IP56 at the minimum.
If they come with a plug, you can wire direct, but make sure you fit the same value fuse as the one in the plug that you have cut off!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back