T&E from CU to outdoor Wiska box.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Looking to run some T&E from CU to external wiska box.
Shortest route is under the floor and out to external wall.

We are replacing kitchen floor soon and while access is there I want to get cable to external junction. I plan on cutting an access panel under the unit nearest external wall.
This will eventually be used to add power to shed and some external LED light in decking etc...

If I go with 6mm T&E this should be enough gor our needs for outdoors? A couple of sockets and lights in shed and dome garden/ decking lights.

I looking to fit the external box to the left of the vents near downpipe. That way SWA cable can be added and buried along edge of property in future.
20230314_182611.jpg

Attachments

• 20230314_182619.jpg
    20230314_182619.jpg
    446 KB · Views: 55
  • 20230314_183233.jpg
    20230314_183233.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 43
  • 20230314_182728.jpg
    20230314_182728.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 49
Sponsored Links
I appears you are trying to run a selection of different circuits from one mcb, presumably something big like 32A which will not be suitable for the smaller cables for you decking lights etc.

In England a new circuit required notifying, to LABC and in real terms not worth doing as DIY and if your not doing as DIY then why are you asking the question?

Yes I have twin and earth outside, but it is not rated for outside use.

I appears you are trying to run a selection of different circuits from one mcb, presumably something big like 32A which will not be suitable for the smaller cables for you decking lights etc.
FCU for the lights?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
FCU for the lights?

Kind Regards, John
Yes of course it's a solution but the whole thing needs to be designed and as already mentioned LABC involvement. Not just sticking in some random piece of cable to a random junction box.

Yes of course it's a solution but the whole thing needs to be designed and as already mentioned LABC involvement. Not just sticking in some random piece of cable to a random junction box.
All agreed. As for "LABC involvement", the OP appears to be in Scotland, so I don't have a clue as to what the rules are or what might be required!

Kind Regards, John

Hi, Thanks for the responses.

The T&E will be inside and terminated at the external junction box. This will eventually feed to another small CU via SWA to run 2 different circuits, one for lights and one for sockets.

The new circuit is notifiable once we go ahead and start the landscaping and build the shed. That's when we get electrcian for building regs certification with local authority.

Just now I'm thinking of what I can put in place while kitchen floor is accessible. Get under the floor and run the cable to outside junction box. Otherwise the other option is to run cable up into 1st floor along the length of house and outside. This would then require a longer length of cable both T&E inside and eventually SWA outside.

The new shed will be 2m from house. So going to need at least 6m of SWA if going from ground level.

Or get under the floor now and install ducting from CU location to outside junction box location so then the electrician can pull in the cable(s) that he or she is going to certify
Great idea, is there a specific ducting that is best for cable so it doesn't get snagged?

Great idea, is there a specific ducting that is best for cable so it doesn't get snagged?
In concept ... smooth (not corrugated) interior and, needleless to say, as straight a run as possible - certainly no 'sharp bends', if any ... and a 'decent size'.

Kind Regards, John

In concept ... smooth (not corrugated) interior and, needleless to say, as straight a run as possible - certainly no 'sharp bends', if any ... and a 'decent size'.

Kind Regards, John
I could run it straight if I attach it to the joists.

The room the CU is in has a concrete floor, but there is plastic conduit along the bottom of floor attached to wall that was used for old electrical cable for storage heaters.
I can the run conduit along the joists starting at the hole where the plastic conduit ends take it to external wall.

I could run it straight if I attach it to the joists. .... The room the CU is in has a concrete floor, but there is plastic conduit along the bottom of floor attached to wall that was used for old electrical cable for storage heaters. ... I can the run conduit along the joists starting at the hole where the plastic conduit ends take it to external wall.
That all sounds like a reasonable plan.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back