decking framework

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have spent two days reading decking questions here and elsewhere, and advice seems to vary loads!
I'm building a 3x5.6m deck, planning on using 50x150 for the framework. Spanning tables suggest I can span the 3m without an intermediate support. Will this be OK, or should I put a post support in half way ? Should I support every joist, or ever other joist ?
What should be the spacing of the posts on the outer frame ?

Sponsored Links
Hey

I would put more support in if I were you, 3m is a long way! I put supports in on mine very 800mm so two joists and then one side was bolted to the house wall and then used 4x4 posts for support. Don't forget to support the centres too. Use plenty of noggins and good quality exterior screws.

If your raising the deck consider using block and concrete foundations instead of concreting wooden posts in the ground as eventually they will rot! If you watch the yanks do it, they use 6x6 posts and 10x2 joists and 1m deep concrete footings for each support, slightly over engineered if you ask me but expensive!

Here's the latest plan. I think I'm going with posts concreted in, but bitumen painted.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20150913-174133.png
    Screenshot_20150913-174133.png
    114.8 KB · Views: 150
Sponsored Links
I built a 5m x 3m deck last summer and put probably twice as many support posts in as that, but then I do tend to be a bit OTT sometimes.

What I have now though is a solid as a rock deck with no spring or bounce at any point. :))

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back