Decking help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm new to the forum, I have basic diy knowledge but would like to build my own decking and from what I have read on the internet could do with a little help.

I would like the decking straight from the patio door, about 12ft square.

Now there is a slight slope from the house down the garden as well as a slope from left to the right of the house as you can see from the attached picture.

So how do I go about starting the decking? Would a frame alone be suitable? Or should I lift the patio and dig holes and concrete some posts in? Or attach a length of wood to the house wall and work from that?

Any help on how to start would be very much appreciated, I feel pretty happy with building the actual frame it is just on the best way to start regarding foundations or not.

Thanks again

Wayne

Sponsored Links
Hi Wayne,

Welcome to the forums, there's some very clued up people here so im sure you will get some good advice.
Ive done a few decking projects myself, some thoughts on what you asked.

First of all i would remove the paving from the area and string out your decking area to make sure you're happy.
Maybe purchase yourself a post digger from wickes or somewhere and used that to dig in footings for your posts/supports. Depending of course how solid the ground is, you could place supports on the paving stones, argue this will prevent rotting of the wood. Personally not how i would build.

You can attach a member to the house as support for decking, just make sure it's gapped well enough to allow water running down the house to pass through.

So in answer i would dig holes and attach to house. Run timber across house, peg out supports dig them in space them out to line up with supporting floor joists, allow plenty for support.
Build out rest of frame fill across using joist hangers using adequate timber to span supports. Joist direction of course has effect on which way you lay your decking!

Hope that helps. I can post you some pics of some of my work if you are wanting.

cheers and good luck

Ken.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back