Decking Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

Recently bought a new place and looking to spruce up the garden a bit. I have done a few previous decks which have been a success but:

1. I havent decked this close a wall before.
2. I havent decked over a patio.

I have had a look at //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=176949&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

It seems this is almost exactly what I want to do...deck over an existing patio.

Please see attached pics.

View media item 22234 View media item 22235
My queries are:

1. Can I put a frame directly over the patio...wont the frame rot if its in contact with the patio over time?

2. The patio appears to be laid well - very few weeds coming through - do i still need a membrane?

3. The patio slopes very slightly towards the house - This doesnt seem to be a problem as there is a dedicated drain right under the patio doors for the guttering.

4. The patio also sloped slightly to the right as you look at the doors. Whats the best way to get the frane level without rippin the patio up?

5. Not worried about the manhole cover as I have checked with planning - As long as I create an 'access hatch' all is good.

Basically I dont want to lift the existing patio - ideally I'd like to deck straight over it as done in money_penny's thread.

Cheers :D

Sponsored Links
Hi there,

Recently bought a new place and looking to spruce up the garden a bit. I have done a few previous decks which have been a success but:

1. I havent decked this close a wall before.
2. I havent decked over a patio.

I have had a look at //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=176949&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Have a bit more of a search as ive lost count of how many decking questions ive answere on here!

It seems this is almost exactly what I want to do...deck over an existing patio.

Please see attached pics.

View media item 22234 View media item 22235
My queries are:

1. Can I put a frame directly over the patio...wont the frame rot if its in contact with the patio over time? Yes and no it wont, certainly not in the life of the deck
2. The patio appears to be laid well - very few weeds coming through - do i still need a membrane? Yes

3. The patio slopes very slightly towards the house - This doesnt seem to be a problem as there is a dedicated drain right under the patio doors for the guttering. no problem, the concrete will continue to drain the water as before
4. The patio also sloped slightly to the right as you look at the doors. Whats the best way to get the frane level without rippin the patio up? support the deck on legs and you can achieve whatever fall you want independetly of the concrete
5. Not worried about the manhole cover as I have checked with planning - As long as I create an 'access hatch' all is good.

Basically I dont want to lift the existing patio - ideally I'd like to deck straight over it as done in money_penny's thread.

Cheers :D

Thermo, why don't you write a paving/fencing/decking compendium in the Wiki then practically all of your response would need to be a link to your Wiki entry? :p

Sponsored Links
i keep meaning to. its taken me 3 years to redo my website! Then again how many people will read it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back