DECKING - HOW DO I ATTACH POSTS TO A SOLID BASE?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am about to start my summer project which is decking the back yard.

The yard is currently on different levels so I have to make a level timber carcass base for my decking. The first thing I have to do is cut and position 12 posts to make it level (I am using 4" x 4" posts) ready to attach my joists to. The Posts will be 8 x 12" high and 4 x 6.5" high.

The decking will be going over a good solid paved area so it seems daft to take the flags up to sink my posts (more than likely utility pipes lie underneath) so I want to secure my posts to the solid base.
I know of Metpost bolt down fixings but not only are these expensive but I wont be able to secure my joists to the posts because the metal fixings will be in the way.

My question is: What else is on the market that performs the action of a metpost but also enables me to secure my joists to the posts?

Other than bog standard angle brackets either side of the post all I can find are these http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p29420 but are they any good?

Thanks in advance

Dave

Sponsored Links
There may be useful info here:

http://www.tda.org.uk/NetBuildPro/process/9/Publications.html

My immediate, but uninformed, reactions to your Metpost observations are:

1) If they are in the way of the joists then the posts aren't long enough - i.e. the Metposts are the depth they are for good reasons.

2) It's not a good idea to scrimp on structural components to save a bit of money.

you dont need to attach the posts to the paving at all. the weight of the deck will hold them in place

Hi,

Since the posts are so short as long as they are fixed corectly to the subframe by at least 2 sides of the post they will not 'Kick out'.

Just a suggestion that you may or may not know since you will be cutting the posts you need to make sure you treat the ends with an End Grain treatment to protect them from rod since they are sitting on a solid surface that may hold water when it rains.

Hope this is of some help.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all your help.

I was going to attach a ledger to the wall but I am worried about my DPC as I cannot see where it is due to the covering on my walls. Going off what you have said regarding weight and non movement, am I better off having a free standing base and hold it off my wall by around 10mm?

Oh and just a final question.......

On the part of my patio that is currently at my desired height, can I place decking boards directly on top or will I have to add spacer boards (10mm?) underneath to stop water gathering?

the ledger board will not cause any problems with the dpc, much easier to have one.

Well, I seldom use a ledger board now unless its the only place to attach the deck to something rigid. You need to stop the frame from moving laterally (which it may never do anyway if you have it all levelled properly!)

Dont try to level the posts with each other. Just make them a little too long and cut off later when the frame is attached to them.

Never try to use deck boards without a frame under them, as they must be screwed in place to stop them moving over time. As such you ought to lower that part of the existing ground that is now too high.

Sorry to be a damp squib, but have you contacted your local planning department? My local authority wants to see details of decking, heights etc.

which one is that?

if its under 300mm then its not a problem

which one is that?

if its under 300mm then its not a problem
Brighton, well Hove actually. As you say, they mainly want to see you are not creating a balcony overlooking the neighbours. I was speaking to them in February about doors and lofts and mentioned decking. They said they had to see plans for all decking. A bit OTT maybe but that is what the officer told me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back