Decking Joists - minimum size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I'm about to move on to stage 3 of my current garden project and install a deck area where I've recently build a shed and fenced area. My deck will be spanning an old concreted area and a soil area - I've research on the site around various aspects of the deck (from gaps between joists etc) but what I'd like to get some advice on is the minimum thickness of the joist themselves.

For reasons relating to my shed door (and not wanting to cut it down) I need to keep the deck as low as possible so would ideally like a thin joist but how thin can I go ?

Sponsored Links
that completely depends on the span and method of supporting them?

You could happily have 4x2 or even 3 x 2 if it was supported very well.

Thanks for the response - the total size of the area will be 5x3.6m with 2.8x3.6 of that over an old existing concrete base and the rest over soil. Will support the area over concrete on slabs and was intending to use posts for the area over soil. If I over support it everywhere would 3x2 be okay?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back