Decking is square but fence isn't!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.
I am in the process of laying a decking area of 5.5m x3.6m and have all the joists and framework set out and level.
However, after fitting it square with my conservatory I've noticed that my neighbours fence (which the deck is going up against) is not square and it has left a gap of upto 70mm in some places!
Is there any way of hiding this space,as it is gonna look very unsightly with an uneven gap going the full 5.5m length of decking!

I did think of just laying a single deck board length ways so it sort of acts as a trim.
Any other ideas anyone please?

Sponsored Links
difficult to say without seeing the layout, if the fence is parallel with the boards you would move the board closer and scribe to fit as best you can. If the fence is perpendicular to the boards you would butt up to the fence and scribe as needed. can you post a photo? I'm guessing you have already bought the boards and they are too small to be trimmed to the gap?

Hi and thanks or the reply.

I can't reset all the the deck frame now as its took me 2 days on my own just to get it laid down and level.
The frame is made to take a 3.6m deck board (which are already bought) so I can't butt up to the fence.
I was hoping for a way to cover the gap with a piece of trim

You could just lay a board perpendicular on top at the end of the others against the fence, there will be a slight height difference obviously but at least the gap will be gone. You could scribe the extra board against the fence if you really want to close the gap but it may not be very accurate/easy.

Sponsored Links
That's exactly what I was thinking of doing but is there no such thing as a beveled/chamfered board?
Alternativly I was thinking of making some long troughs/planters out of some decking boards and using them to hide the gap.

With 3 x 3.6m boards I can get a planter/trough which measures
1500mm x 300mm x 300mm and only cost £18 to make. Would just need to line them before they were used.

That was going to be my suggestion. Build a planter out of decking and fill it with small conifers/round box bush etc. will finish off the gap and decorate the area

please excuse my horrid quick sketch up of my problem.
just curious how i woud scribe a 4m deck board to run perpedicular to my deck boards to cover the gap?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back