Big Decking Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
I've searched long and hard for the answer to my decking problem, but just cant seem to find the answer, and was hoping you could help. I am putting in a large deck (approx. 11m wide x 7m down the garden) across the 1st part of my garden. The problem I have is that a part of the area is concrete (an area 2/3rds the width of the house and stretching out 3-4m) and the rest is soil. My problem is I don't know how best to secure the structure.

My original plan was posts concreted in the soil section (which is lower than the concrete) and add a few posts in the main concrete (by drilling holes) to hold the decking in place on the concrete. The concrete would then take the weight where appropriate with the bearers taking the strain over the original lawn. However, I now read that concrete expands/ contracts in frost/sun so if a joist is secured at one end in the middle of this concrete slab patio and it expands, it might put pressure on the other bearers in the soil and pull them out or split the decking. Is this correct? And is there a better solution? I don't have much height to play with after the joists/deck boards to the back door, so lifting the deck more than a few inches is out.

Thanks for your help!

Sponsored Links
Concrete wont expand that much to cause an issue, and bare in mind that wood is flexible and will expand and contract too.

With such a heavy deck I'd just let it sit on the concrete without being secured. Look for floating decks on the search.

Just to clarify I would continue with your original plan for posts in the grassy area to support that part of the deck, but the rest of the deck it can just sit on the concrete area without being fixed to it.

Sponsored Links
Hi Kingandy2nd,

That's brilliant - thank you very much for your help, I'll do exactly that!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back