Decking Joists?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to start work on a new deck (5mx7m).
Couple of quetions if anyone could help please.
Is 6x2 timber ok to construct the frame?
How do I attach the joist to the outer frame. Was going to use masonary joist hangers cos they look quite stong, is this a yes or no-no?
Lastly, how far apart do I space the noggings between the joist?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
champster said:
I'm about to start work on a new deck (5mx7m).
Couple of quetions if anyone could help please.
Is 6x2 timber ok to construct the frame? How do I attach the joist to the outer frame. Was going to use masonary joist hangers cos they look quite stong, is this a yes or no-no?
Lastly, how far apart do I space the noggings between the joist?

Thanks

I intend to use 4 x 2 for my frame although I notice Wickes mention using 80mm x 80mm Deck Bearers in their guide, anything to consider?

Wickes also sell a more substantial Joist to compliment their bearers, however for a low-level deck directly onto the patio should I need these?

Basically will 4 x 2 for the entire frame (with the first lengths bolted to the house) suffice?

Sponsored Links
i use 4 x 2 all the time for low level stuff. As long as you put enough supports in its fine. my decks certainly dont bounce or move!

The point being, to clarify, 6x2 joists mean you dont need as many support points as they dont bounce as much. 4x2 means more, but you benefit from saving 2" in height abov ground (useful if you have DPC issues, or don't want to dig out as much ground)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back