Decking oil - Rubbish?

Sponsored Links
on my cladding, I used a jetwasher which blasted off the old coating and also the weathered patches of timber.

Before oiling, I used Colron (with a brush) to colour the timber, so it is darker and any water-darkened patches are not visible. I did mine with a deep red mahogany dye, which might not suit everyone, but there are also dark browns.

I am pretty sure your dark patches are due to water penetration. Grey patches are from weathering.

Thanks John :) I think I'd like a mahogany colour actually - the light oiled colour I had to begin with was lovely, but cant last forever...

I oiled my tired decking about 3-4 months ago. Now when ever it rains the water simply soaks in. It still looks fairly uniform in colour(it was oiled with liberon).
It's quite a large area of deck and it was a massive mission to get it clean before oiling. I don't want it to go all slimey and slippery over the winter months (it's like an ice rink).
What would you suggest to use to try keep the mould and mildew at bay over the winter?

Sponsored Links
Plenty of completely untreated decks without mould or algae.

The problem is caused either by the enviroment, such as overhanging trees or such providing lots of shade, or poor detailing.

If water is not pooling on the surface, which is normally avoided by having adequate gaps between boards, and suitable drainage details, and as long as you keep it clean from surface debris, mould or algae growth is unlikely to occur.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back