decking on existing concrete sloped slightly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hey there.

ive decided i want a little bit of decking outside from the kitchen

at the moment, from the kitchen to the garden thers about 8" drop, the concrete is a upwards slope from there so after 4-5 foot away from the kitchen, your at the same level as the kichen floor would be.

i want the decking to be higher up so its almost walking out to the decking same level (of course, i need about a inch from the wall gap)

so im wondering the best way to put a level decking

decking size i want to be is around 3mtr out of the house and 4.5 accross

am i right in thinking the best way would be is to make concrete domes, as posts with wood posts going up, which after set, id cut to level for the deck joists to go on.

3 (mtr apart) going out the house
3 or 4 going side to side

3x3 ish 9-12 posts

level my posts so the top of the wooden posts are the same spirit level
joists on them, frame, deck. finishing touches.

is this the best way?

or are there better ways?

afterwards im going to have gravel around the deck at 180 degree around it, all level to the deck so you can walk from kitchen to decking with only slight dip (not existsing 8") then onto gravel from deck (again slight dip)

be nice wouldnt it :p

thanks alot for any help!

i will try to add some photoes

Sponsored Links
I think it is preferable to have a slight fall away from the house. This will help rainwater run away.

Additionally, it is very tiresome trying to sweep decking boards across the grooves. Orient them so they grooves run the way you will want to brush or hose it clean.

A few pics if they help

If you look, on the left hand side you can see a crack/join in concrete. This is more or less the edge of the deck will be

Follow that line up there a bit of a cut away in that crack, thats more or less where it would go accross.

Up to where the bbq leg is

Cheers

Attachments

• DSC_0008.JPG
    DSC_0008.JPG
    185.6 KB · Views: 266
  • DSC_0009.JPG
    DSC_0009.JPG
    196.4 KB · Views: 268
  • DSC_0011.JPG
    DSC_0011.JPG
    181.3 KB · Views: 275
  • DSC_0010.JPG
    DSC_0010.JPG
    232.4 KB · Views: 269
  • DSC_0012.JPG
    DSC_0012.JPG
    128.9 KB · Views: 266
I think it is preferable to have a slight fall away from the house. This will help rainwater run away.

Additionally, it is very tiresome trying to sweep decking boards across the grooves. Orient them so they grooves run the way you will want to brush or hose it clean.

Cheers for the reply!!

Would it be best then, to build a frame with 3x2 then bruild it up on the one end so itl be more level, yes slightly towards house where the gutter in the concrete runs to the drain.

Atm our sausages roll off our plate. Can you see my hot fix with the 3x2 on the bench. Ahaha!! Genuis no?

Sponsored Links

See at 4mins 10 ish. Cant i just make the 2 of them near the house longer then the others.

I thinn il have about 3 or 4. Been as my deck would be longer, rectangle not square.

If you go for composite decking you can fit (level) and forget - brilliant stuff though more expensive but non slip and takes half an hour with a jetwash and circular deck cleaner tool to bring back from the winter greening due to algae. Did mine yesterday. Cost about £1000 for the decking 3m.x6m and framework when I built it a year ago. Money well spent.

Mines about 3 mtr by 4 - 4.5.

The joists seem to all be 2400, how would i join the joists? 3x2 on thee inside ?

J join J
--------------_-_-_-_----------------
.....2400............... x .........I
.........................................l
.........…..............................l

J joist
X remanding distance
. nothin ;)
Like me doodle? ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back