Decking onto concrete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My girlfriend wants me to deck the back yard at her house. At the moment, it's half covered in gravel, which will be removed, and there's a drain cover. I'm happy to build a sub-frame and deck the area, leaving a hatch for the drain.

My question is simple: does the sub-frame need fixing to the groun dor will the weight of it and the deckboards be sufficient??

Photo attached to help out!!

Cheers in advance,

Phil

Sponsored Links
It doesnt look very level!! Given the long narrow space there, bordered by two sound looking brick walls, I'd be tempted to fix the deck to the walls using anchor bolts or resin bolts and span the width with joists, running the deckboards lengthways.

Wow, four wheelie bins! We have enough with two and a green box.

Will the bins be getting relocated? There's not much point in decking out a bin storage area.

You could level it off with bits of old roof slate and paving slabs. Shouldn't need fixing down.

Sponsored Links
Don't get me started on the bins! They WILL be going outside in the alley!!

The area isn't as rough as it looks, mainly because there's a lot of gravel down, which needs clearing.

Am thinking that the wall idea is good, cheers for the help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back