Decking Q

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I know you get a fair few decking questions, but I just want some reassurance here.

I have an area that is approx 3x3m that I want to deck. It is framed on 2 sides by a raised wall. The decking needs to sit very low to the ground, ideally, so can't afford to high a frame.

I have placed 9 paving slabs leveled on concrete and now need to start buildding the frame. It's worth saying that my decking is going to be the harder Balau wood.

I gather that 400mm joist spacing is a good safe bet, but what wood should I use for the frame. I want it to be strong, but not too high. The frame is also not attached to verticals, but will sit straight onto the paving slabs....

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Tanalised 3x2 or 4x2, with a piece of DPC between the slabs and timber

Be aware that some treated timber is not protected against permanent or frequent dampness, so make sure the treatment used is suitable for the conditions

You also need to fit noggins in the frame to stiffen it up

Woody,

Thanks for the response. I wouldn't want to doubt your advice, especially considering your profile name ;) , BUT I would have thought that placing DPC between the slabs and timber will just create a non draining layer for any water to sit on, as apposed to it being able to drain and dry if the timber sat directly on the the slabs?

Is your suggestion to stop the moisture rising up through the slab to the timber? I could maybe see the benefit if the dpc was very small - not much wider than the area where the timber touches the slab?

Sponsored Links
Guys, another question if you don't mind. When using timber to build a frame like that for decking, would you genrally use screws to hold it all together or brackets nailed to the timber. Not sure if it matters for a simple decking frame does it.

2 large screws running through 4x2's would be enough wouldn't it?

Have a look at the Turbo Coach Screws from Screwfix. They are brilliant for decking frames

Otherwise, yes normal screws will do. Brackets are fiddly, and using any sort of nails will lead to it creaking like an old galleon

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back