Decking Support Posts Distance

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
I am rather confused on the distance support posts should be put it. Everything i have seen seems to point to 4x2 joists and then it says 'can be longer if using 6x2'.
I am planning on using 6x2 joists, is there a 'tried and tested' distance that these should be supported at (per joist) also the distance between the joist would be handy.
Looked loads on various forums but cannot seem to find a definitive answer.
Thanks
Lee

Sponsored Links
allow about 1.5m. once they are in do a bounce test and if you need any more then add them in

Nice one Thermo, i was way off, i was thinking about 8 feet :)

For simplicitly, lets say I deck an area 1.5m x 1.5m.

- I'd set 4 posts in the corners.
- I'd bolt four joists around the posts to form the outer frame.
- Then I'd add another joist down the middle at 1m to have 500mm centres.

My question is what's stopping that middle joist from bouncing as it isn't bolted to a post?

(Can't help but think I've totally missed something really, really basic - apols for my stupidity)

Sponsored Links
I am not an expert on this but i would have to assume that because the timbers are 6x2 they have enough rigidity to stop the 'bounce'. You should be putting in noggins also, this will help reduce the bounce i think.

Thanks. It just seems odd that some joists are made bounce free by bolting to posts and some aren't supported from underneath. Like you, I'm guessing the noggins and deck act to support those joists. In which case the noggins are more than just for frame rigidity and become structural -> i.e. important.

I'm probably just being a bit too theoretical about it all.

No matter how small the decking area is you are always going to need noggins put in place. This will give much more strength to the structure of the frame.

My decking area is 6 meters by 3.6 meters and is raised off of ground level by about 20cms. I may have gone a bit over the top with the noggings, but my decking is solid. I wanted to make is as strong as possible as I intended to put a 10 seater table and BBQ on the decking area. So it needed to support that plus another 10 people and some kids.

After a few packed out BBQ's I can safely say that it easily supports the weight.

For simplicitly, lets say I deck an area 1.5m x 1.5m.

- I'd set 4 posts in the corners.
- I'd bolt four joists around the posts to form the outer frame.
- Then I'd add another joist down the middle at 1m to have 500mm centres.

My question is what's stopping that middle joist from bouncing as it isn't bolted to a post?

(Can't help but think I've totally missed something really, really basic - apols for my stupidity)

in that example id run a counter joist underneath (quicker and easier than noggins if there is room underneath) all the joists are fixed into that and then id do a mid post in the centre.

dont get too hung up on it. its a glorified floor. your floor in your house doesnt have a lot of support in the centre, the strength of the wood does most of the job.

noggins, while they do help with strength, are mainly for stiffness (fnarr).

As Lord Thermo says, build it, bounce on it, add supports as required, go to step 2.....

Apologies, this post went up about the same time as mine on the same subject and i keep accidently posting responses to it. What chance have I got of building a good deck...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back