Decking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thinking of installing a deck in our garden. Does anyone have any advice on the installation of these or any good sites with some examples on etc. We want to do a raised deck with the railing round it - not really sure what size shape yet - prob going to end up fairly big!!

Sponsored Links
Ive been watching Groundforce all weekend (sad i know) Tommy said the easiest "pattern" is strait, as its less cuts (site mentioned shows several different patterns)

Sponsored Links
make the run along your line of vision not across.

apart from the idea that this is a block to energy(?) it looks much better as it makes the whole look much larger (longer).

Only use best quality, treated screws, treated sub scructure (as large as you can if you have a lot of traffic) and for the best practical results use broad, grooved boards, for best looking decks use narrow, smooth boards.

Maple looks fab when new and can be kept that way with regular oiling.

Treated Softwood boards are cheap and long lasting, hardwood can be well dodgy as much of it is from cleared rainforest even if it says it isn't. If your not worried about the rainforest find out about it as it is important when buying exotic timber.

Highly recommended are deck oils by a german firm called Osmo, www.osmo.de, don't worry they do have their site in english. Always get a test pot of any deck treatment and try on a sample or small area first and let it dry to be sure it is what you want before covered the whole thing and ending up with regrets. A good effect is too rub oil or treatment in with a rag, stops it looking like a freshly painted deck and helps get the treatment into the wood. Only treat dry wood.

Osmo also make the very best deck screws you could wish to buy, square head drive (not more knackered crossbit heads) with no predrilling or corrosion and they put a free bit in every box. expensive but worth it for a professional job or where you have a stablity problem and want to make sure nothing will give.

I've used all of the above, and would only suggest things I know work. one thing I know does not work is using anything but the best quality joist hangers for decking, don't buy tiny brackets and expect them to hold it all together with a weight on top.

try the advice freebies from the chainstores as they are good.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back