Decorating living room, dealing with cracks next to wooden beams

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey,

looking for some advice on what filler I should use here. I'm about to start redecorating my living room. The house has wooden beams and next to some of the vertical beams there is cracking in the plaster (either about 1 cm from the beam, or between the plaster and the beam).

Generally most of them is probably no more than 2-3mm wide. I'm guessing this will be a constant problem, with beam shrinkage and expansion in different temperatures, but it would be nice to put something in there that is a bit more flexible & deals with the expansion + contraction a bit better before I stick Farrow & Ball on it :). Any tips?

Let me know if pictures are required!

Cheers

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Decent flexible caulk, or even a frame sealant. Both will likely leave a ridge even after painting.

A lime based filler might work, is the fabric standard plaster or something with age?

I believe standard plaster. It's a barn conversion (building is est ~1820) - conversion happened about 11 years ago.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back